AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm installing a 50 Watt Gable Mounted Solar Attic fan as shown here:
http://www.solaratticfan.com/fan-models/gable-mount.html

The fan motor will be installed one one side of the home, and the solar panel will be on the opposite of the home. So, i will need to fish approximately 90 feet of wiring thru the attic. The solar panel uses Direct Current (DC). Since 90 feet is a very lengthy run, what type of in-wall rated cable and what gauge wiring should i use? Can i use speaker wire or another wire i can pickup at Home Depot?

Also, i need some sort of switch to install in the attic i can use the open/close the circuit so i can manually turn off the solar fan when needed. Any recommendation on switches?

Not familiar with building code so defintely could use some help

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just use 14ga romex. It appears that the current is less than 1.5 amps (50 W / 36 V), so won't get much drop. Then just use a standard plastic switch box and toggle switch.
Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that part of the cable will be outside of the home on the rooftop. So, the cable needs to be rated for outdoor use/UV resistant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, i got the romex and all other necessary parts. Solar attic fan will be installed next weekend. Here's connecting the multimeter correctly! 20V x 1.7 amps = 34 watts. Manufacturer claims 50 watts , but i'm guessing that's optimal conditions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.