AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which remotes are good for someone who surfs a lot of TV. I've read the reviews on the Home Theater, Sony, Phillips and a few others but still not too sure. Here's why...

My thought is that for surfing the remote should at least as good as my digital cable remote. So it needs the typical buttons and the few special ones like guide, info, favorite, and menu. The tricky part is that it should also have a page up and page down for browsing the guide. Most don't seem to have this, which is actually a function I use a lot. I tried a low end Sony remote that managed to do everything I needed. But, it was so awkward browsing the guide that I had to take it back.

I'm sure even the most basic remote can do this, but can they do it easily or do you have to do a 2 or 3 button combo? I want to hit guide, page around for a while, then use my arrow keys to select the exact channel, then hit the OK button to select it. I'm willing to do a button combo for certain things like "watch dvd" but not the everyday stuff.

It looks like the MX500 might be good because it has enough buttons around the pad that could do this, but hard to tell. I don't think the Harmony could do this though because I'm not sure what you would map to page up/down and I think you'd have to use the side button as a combo. I also think I should rule out touch pads since they don't seem like they're meant for sitting on the couch and flipping channels. I could be wrong about that, just my impression.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The mx-500 does EXATCLY what you want it to do. It is the surfers dream machine. I bought mine a few months ago and I love it. The best money spent on a remote.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume with the Harmony you have to use the side button in combination with the channel buttons right? Otherwise I don't see how you can page up using the buttons in the image you included.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Harmony SST-768 definately is not a convenient remote for your purposes. I've had one and returned it after 30 days. Just search for "sst-768" in this forum for details. I'm sorta tired of repeating myself, and don't want to come off as bashing the Harmony too badly. :)

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
If you use the harmony's guide, then yes, the scroll wheel scrolls through the pages. If you are using the cable boxes guide, then you can set it up as you want. If you look at the 8 and the pause button you will notice little triangles meant to indicate navigation buttons. They are black on the real harmony. And you can change the function of any button

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Anthony is almost always right except when it comes to remote controls, when he is almost always wrong :D.

I would go with the MX-700 or MX-500 which are outstanding for channel surfers. I would not go with a Pronto, especially *assuming* that part of your channel surfing habits includes keying in channels by numbers, which is a pain on the Pronto. The pronto also does not fit well in the hand, which is critical to manly channel surfing. No man wants to have to hold the remote with two hands!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QQQ

Good way to put it. I should have asked that in my original post ... "which remote works best with just one hand". Thanks for all the reponses.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Anthony is almost always right except when it comes to remote controls, when he is almost always wrong.
lol

it is not my fault it is a matter of taste and you don't have any :)

-------------------

I have not used a 3000, but I have no problem using a 2000 and 1000 with one hand.

But I agree that you should get the remote that suites you the most, you will need to live with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QQQ (and others):

What do you think of the Marantz RC-9200? Just a Pronto clone? If I just want to control lighting, a projector and sound system in my HT is this a good choice?

thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Arizphil
QQQ (and others):

What do you think of the Marantz RC-9200? Just a Pronto clone? If I just want to control lighting, a projector and sound system in my HT is this a good choice?

thanks in advance for any advice.
Arizphil:

The Marantz is an excellent remote control. It is better than the Pronto because you can use the entire screen, whereas the Pronto forces you to allocate a certain amount of screen space to wasted factory buttons. That's a huge issue when you are dealing with a small screen to begin with.

It really comes down to personal preference. I'm not opposed to touchscreens and in fact if cost is not an object a Crestron touchscreen is my favorite remote without question. For a handheld remote control, the MX-700 is my favorite. But I can see why some people would prefer the RC-9200.

Without a doubt the RC-9200 is more sexy. But the question for me is which one is actually more enjoyable and practical and easy to use on a day to day basis. For me, that's the 700. But the advantage of being able to design your own screens with only the functions you want can't be underestimated and makes some people prefer the RC-9200 for all the same reasons.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. You could also purchase both from the same outfit, try them for a week, and keep the one that works best for you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QQQ:

I have looked at Creston, but it exceeds my budget. I like the idea of looking at both the MX-700 and the Marantz.

Thanks for the "remote" advice. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I would prefer the Marantz 9200 over the Pronto Pro if they were closer in price. Unfortunately, due to Marantz's pricing and dealer policies, you can't get much of a discount from list price, which means you're paying over $1000 for the 9200. Compared to a little over $600 for the Pro, the extra buttons and slightly larger screen area isn't worth another $400 to me.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you're gonna pay over $1,000 for a remote control, you may as well get the iPronto. Go for broke.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mroll
I would prefer the Marantz 9200 over the Pronto Pro if they were closer in price. Unfortunately, due to Marantz's pricing and dealer policies, you can't get much of a discount from list price, which means you're paying over $1000 for the 9200. Compared to a little over $600 for the Pro, the extra buttons and slightly larger screen area isn't worth another $400 to me.
I was not aware the street price difference between the two was that great, and that certainly will affect the priorties of plenty of buyers.

I agree with dswallow that you might want to lok at the iPronto except i have some reservations about the first generation of the product, otherwise it sure does look fun.

Quote:
quoted from Mark Rubin
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86#post2106086

some iPronto thoughts

having played with the iPronto for a few days, I am very impressed with the product and believe it could become very popular in the future: I think it could give Crestron/AMX some serious competition

however, right now the iPronto is very limited in what it can do because the iPronto Edit software is terrible:

for example, the IR library is very limited (no Lexicon codes at all!): many IR codes in its limited library are flawed, there is only one set of codes for some brands, there is no way to test the IR codes without downloading the whole program, and the ability to do macros, import IR codes, control by RF and RS232 is either limited or non existent

an update of the editor is badly needed, as is the RF/RS232 module

the tablet PC portion works, but it is slow: the EPG is neat but the screen size does not allow much info to be displayed at one time- and updates are very slow

still a very neat toy- for now I use it for basic remote functions: there are work arounds for some IR learning/macro problems but these are very involved :

I hope Pronto fixes the software quickly- hard to believe a remote with a list price of over $1600.00 has such limited software

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
I'm not opposed to touchscreens and in fact if cost is not an object a Crestron touchscreen is my favorite remote without question.
and the Crestron is one hand? :)

Quote:
The Marantz is an excellent remote control. It is better than the Pronto because you can use the entire screen, whereas the Pronto forces you to allocate a certain amount of screen space to wasted factory buttons. That's a huge issue when you are dealing with a small screen to begin with.
actually, the Pronto TSU-3000 lets you use 100% of the screen, The Marantz 5200/9200 around 80-90% not sure exactly how much and the other CCF remotes (all other Prontos, ProntoPro, Marantz, Yamaha and Onkyo) around 75%

and the 3000 has more hard buttons then the 5200/9200

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
which remote works best with just one hand
Just what are you watching anyway???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.