AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am setting up a new system and need suggestion about which speakers to buy. Since I am into classical music, some suggest me to buy Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy(AA) bookshelf/floor. I can also get a pair of Infinity P363 tower one-year-like-new for just 100. I heard the rated impedance of P363 is 4 ohm. But I will purchase a middle end(?) receiver like Yamaha RX-V1700 or Denon AVR-3805, and hopefully it can drive the P363. So which ones should I buy? Infinity P363 or AA bookshelf/floor? Thank you in advance!

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I don't know AA, but was an owner of P363 for a while and they are a really good speaker for the price. A pair at 100 is a steal. I just sold a single one on ebay for 100. I would consider them upper mid-range speakers.

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
For classical and even other different types of music - I prefer the AA sonic
balance sound signature over the Primus sonic sound signature.

However, your call

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
Thanks guys!

Do you think AA is much better than Pioneer SP-BS22 or just minor mods? Worth it for 100 bucks more?
The AA is a nice clear step up over the stock Pioneer - and worth the price, if you have a critical ear.

Dennis who does the mod is a classical musician - however, the speakers can handle all types of
music playing.

Your call

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would guess that the AA is going to be more accurate than the Primus, but the Primus speaker is still a very accurate speaker for the price, with excellent off-axis dispersion. I think the Primus would have a greater dynamic range than the AAs. I would say if you don't need real loud speakers and intend to listen to stuff critically, go for the AAs. If you want a punchier presentation and don't mind slightly elevated treble, go for the Primus. If you do intend to listen closely and want a full enveloping performance at realistic loudness levels, you need to substantially increase your budget and look at higher priced offerings with some serious subwoofers as well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi guys, I am setting up a new system and need suggestion about which speakers to buy. Since I am into classical music, some suggest me to buy Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy(AA) bookshelf/floor.
To me, that says it all.

But the question to ask is, if you like music at volume and speakers' sound often grates on your nerves, then to me, it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I would go for the modded Pioneers. I tried the standard ones and they were just OK. I can only imagine what Dennis has done to them. The 363 is a well balance speaker from what I gather in here. But, a much larger speaker. So, kind of a apples to oranges comparison.

Reactions: richx86
1 - 8 of 8 Posts