AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a Dolby Atmos system for my LG C9 TV. The C9 will be my main source, I mostly watch Netflix/Amazon on the TV's apps.
My dream system would be the Klispch RP-600M 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Home Theater System and a Denon AVR-X3500H receiver. But they are way over my budget. So I started looking at home theater in a box solution. I've found that there are not many of them on the market. There are a lot of good reviews and recommendation on the Focal Evo Sib 5.1.2, the price is ok for me but it needs a receiver and that will be quite a stretch on my budget. I found the Onkyo HT-S7800/7805 is quite tempting, I can buy them for around $1200-1300 new but I can't find reviews on them. Then there are soundbars, like the Samsung Q90R is also in my price range but I'm not sure if the soundbar can deliver the same experience like the dedicated speakers.
My room size is 21x16 ft (6.4x5m) but I plan to place the speakers around the TV couch area only which is about 8x8 ft (2.5x2.5m)

So, I would love to hear your advice on a Dolby Atmos system for my setup
- Onkyo HT-S7800/7805
- Samsung Q90R or other soundbars wilth Dolby Atmos
- Any other ideas are welcome

If you think Dolby Atmos experience at this price range is not so good, please feel free to recommend a good 5.1 surround system.
Any opinion will be appreciated.
Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
749 Posts
What is your total budget for the whole system? The $1200-$1300 of the Onkyo systems, the roughly $3500 guess-timated cost of your dream system, or something in between?
What Atmos solution are you going for? Is 5.1.2 enough, or if you could somehow afford it, would you go 5.1.4?
I'm assuming that you'll wall-mount or ceiling mount Atmos height speakers instead of getting in-ceiling speakers.

Considering the price that you're seeing for the Onkyo HT-S7800, you can either find a similar system for much less money, or a much better system for similar money.
(I'll ask you to do google searches, since we're not supposed to post retail links or discuss street prices)

You can find the less expensive Onkyo HT-S5800 for about 1/3 the price that you see the S7800 for at accessories4less.

I think that you'll have regrets getting any of these systems for the lower-end speakers, "bounce" Atmos and low-end AV receivers.
Considering the price at Crutchfield for the Focal system, I think you can get much closer to your dream system than not, including an AV receiver.

Jamo speakers were/are on sale. It looks like you missed out on good deal on their S 803 bookshelves, but other speakers are still available.
Search slickdeals.net for the following sales, and order from the respective sites.
From slickdeals, get a pair of Jamo S 807 towers and matching S 83 center from Adorama for front LCR (you'll have to like with the Walnut color)
From slickdeals, get a pair of Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos speakers from Frys (or Walmart). Don't worry about the brand difference.

From accessories4less, get a pair of refurbished Polk R150 bookshelf speakers for surrounds (they're like Polk T15s). No need to spend a lot on surrounds.
From accessories4less, get a refurbished Denon AVR-X1500H.
Pay full price for a SVS PB-1000 subwoofer from their website or Best Buy so you have the "safety" of a free return, or if you'll trust conventional wisdom of the site, get a Monolith 10" ported from monoprice, which outperforms the SVS sub.
If you're lucky, the Monolith may be available as an open-box item, saving some money.

That should be about the same as the Onkyo system you've seen, and will rival your dream system, but have a much better subwoofer.
For a little bit more, get the 2019 AVR-X1600H. For a fair bit more, get the 2018 AVR-X3500H from your dream system.

Before doing minor upgrades like that, consider that for about 15% more than the Focal system at Crutchfield you could do the following:
Get another pair of Pioneer Atmos speakers
Swap out the refurbished AVR-X1500H for a refurbished AVR-X3600H and get a 5.1.4 system, expandable to 7.1.4
The X3600H even has an additional 2yrs of 3rd party warranty.

If you use crutchfield's comparison tool, and have a set of headphones that they calibrate for, you can "listen" to the Jamos compared to other speakers like the Klipsch.

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a Dolby Atmos system...
My dream system would be the Klispch RP-600M 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Home Theater System and a Denon AVR-X3500H receiver. But they are way over my budget.
There are a lot of good reviews and recommendation on the Focal Evo Sib 5.1.2, the price is ok for me but it needs a receiver and that will be quite a stretch on my budget.
I found the Onkyo HT-S7800/7805 is quite tempting, I can buy them for around $1200-1300 new but I can't find reviews on them.
My room size is 21x16 ft (6.4x5m) but I plan to place the speakers around the TV couch area only which is about 8x8 ft (2.5x2.5m)

So, I would love to hear your advice on a Dolby Atmos system for my setup
- Onkyo HT-S7800/7805
- Samsung Q90R or other soundbars wilth Dolby Atmos
- Any other ideas are welcome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your recommendation!
I've known nothing in audio and just starting to research about it. I have been using only cheap powered bookshelf speakers like edifier till now.

My budget for the whole system is about $1500 max. In Vietnam where I live, there are not many options to choose from and there is no refurbished option.
I think I will stick to the 5.1.2 config because of the space limit in my bedroom. For the atmos speakers, I'll have to use the up firing or wall mounted height speakers because I can't install ceiling speakers.
For the front speakers, I can't use tower speakers because they have to sit on the same counter top with the TV.
I will do further research based on your recommendation above. Before I see your reply on my post, I was looking at the AVR-X1600H too, I think I will pick it for my system.
Honestly, as a newbie I was worrying about the brand different and things like that. After 2 days reading reviews and watching youtube, I was so confusing that at some point I didn't even know what I want and wanted to give up on this.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm happy to offer what I know, but unfortunately my recommendations were based on US pricing and availability.
I'm not sure how to price in Vietnam. You're prices seemed consistent with the US, though.
What are your retail options to get items?

If given the option, I strongly advocate wall-mounting the Atmos speakers to fire directly than trying to bounce the sound. There's enough demonstration to see that bounce speakers are not equivalent to direct-firing.
I was originally going to recommend bookshelf speakers, especially with the great sub, but they're no longer at sale prices. The towers were so inexpensive, it was easy to substitute them price-wise.
The sub recommendation was the highest priced item in recommended items before. If prices for the sub are prohibitive, there are lower priced (but less capable) options that can be chosen.

For speakers, focus on the quality of the center speaker first since it handles the _vast_ majority of sounds in a surround setup. Then get the best matching L/R you can.
Surround and height speakers get much less information in comparison, and none of it "critical". Don't spend a lot of money there.
Don't worry about mixing brands/models on speakers unless you care about the looks. My personal experience has been that as long as long as the speakers aren't wildly mismatched in terms of size and power output, room correction blends them together well enough.
With that in mind, room correction is actually an overlooked reason to pay some more, or to get a particular brand.
My opinion is that the big deal of moving to a Denon X1600H or equivalent is the improved room correction. The Audyssey MultEQ XT on the X1600H is better than what you'll find on other brands at this price point. The MultEQ XT32 on the X3500H and higher is much better than XT, but costs quite a bit more.

My budget for the whole system is about $1500 max. In Vietnam where I live, there are not many options to choose from and there is no refurbished option.
I think I will stick to the 5.1.2 config because of the space limit in my bedroom. For the atmos speakers, I'll have to use the up firing or wall mounted height speakers because I can't install ceiling speakers.
For the front speakers, I can't use tower speakers because they have to sit on the same counter top with the TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm happy to offer what I know, but unfortunately my recommendations were based on US pricing and availability.
I'm not sure how to price in Vietnam. You're prices seemed consistent with the US, though.
What are your retail options to get items?

If given the option, I strongly advocate wall-mounting the Atmos speakers to fire directly than trying to bounce the sound. There's enough demonstration to see that bounce speakers are not equivalent to direct-firing.
I was originally going to recommend bookshelf speakers, especially with the great sub, but they're no longer at sale prices. The towers were so inexpensive, it was easy to substitute them price-wise.
The sub recommendation was the highest priced item in recommended items before. If prices for the sub are prohibitive, there are lower priced (but less capable) options that can be chosen.

For speakers, focus on the quality of the center speaker first since it handles the _vast_ majority of sounds in a surround setup. Then get the best matching L/R you can.
Surround and height speakers get much less information in comparison, and none of it "critical". Don't spend a lot of money there.
Don't worry about mixing brands/models on speakers unless you care about the looks. My personal experience has been that as long as long as the speakers aren't wildly mismatched in terms of size and power output, room correction blends them together well enough.
With that in mind, room correction is actually an overlooked reason to pay some more, or to get a particular brand.
My opinion is that the big deal of moving to a Denon X1600H or equivalent is the improved room correction. The Audyssey MultEQ XT on the X1600H is better than what you'll find on other brands at this price point. The MultEQ XT32 on the X3500H and higher is much better than XT, but costs quite a bit more.
Based on you recommendation, I've put together a system like this:
- AVR-X1600H
- Jamo S83 center
- Jamo S803 front
- Jamo S801 rear
- Jamo J10 sub (I'm not sure about this but it fit my budget)

I decided to ditch the atmos speakers for now to have more room for the main 5.1 system. I will add them later on. I'm thinking about adding another J10 sub and a pair of atmos to make it a 5.2.2.
About the sub, the SVS PB-1000 you mentioned is a bit too expensive for me. So I choose the J10, which is half the price and half the power of the SVS and I plan to add another one later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a combo deal like this:
- AVR-X1600H
- Jamo S807 front
- Jamo S81 center
- Jamo S801 rear
- Jamo C910 sub

all of those for around $1250, which is very tempting to me. But I'm worrying about the height of the S807 towers, if I place them of the counter, the speakers will be about a foot higher than my siting position. If I place them on the ground, they have to be in front of the center speaker, I don't know if that will be a problem.
I also asked them if I can switch the S81 for the S83 but it is not possible. I don't know if it is much of a difference.
This combo is about $150 cheaper than the system I mentioned above. which one do you think is the better buy?

·
Registered
749 Posts
If the size of the speakers aren't an issue, having them on the floor in front of the center shouldn't be a problem. The room correction of the X1600H (and most receivers), will set a delay to make the sound arrive at the listening position at the same time. The best height is to have the tweeters at ear-level. That may mean putting them on the floor, on a platform to raise them. Of course, just try the floor first.
Even if you get this package, you may be able to trade the speakers for some bookshelves with a private party instead of at the store.
Over time you'll hopefully find the right deals.
The S 83 center has larger woofers than the S 81, but still, this is a lot better than the Onkyo system you were looking at for a similar price..

I found a combo deal like this:
- AVR-X1600H
- Jamo S807 front
- Jamo S81 center
- Jamo S801 rear
- Jamo C910 sub

all of those for around $1250, which is very tempting to me. But I'm worrying about the height of the S807 towers, if I place them of the counter, the speakers will be about a foot higher than my siting position. If I place them on the ground, they have to be in front of the center speaker, I don't know if that will be a problem.
I also asked them if I can switch the S81 for the S83 but it is not possible. I don't know if it is much of a difference.
This combo is about $150 cheaper than the system I mentioned above. which one do you think is the better buy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts