Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I see that buy.com has a special on this model today.

Sony RM-AV3000

($110)

But I need to know if it'll do what I want. Now I realize that I need to really figure something out before I shop for a remote, otherwise I'll have a very nice remote that doesn't do what I want....

My TV has 8 inputs. Video1-4 are combo RCA/SVideo, with 5 and 6 being the ones that support progressive scan (RGB plugs). So I've got my Tivo plugged into Video1 (S-Video), VCR plugged into Video3, and DVD plugged into Video5. This gives me the best picture for each device.

So I'm continually flipping between video 1,3,5

Which is a pain on this TV (Sony WVS 700) because you have to press the TV/Video button to cycle through all 8 possible inputs.

The AV Receiver (Onkyo) is really easy - just punch the button for the device you want. But on the TV, you've got to hit the TV/VCR button a variable number of times, depending on where you're starting from.

I have not been able to figure out a scenario where a programmable remote would be able to carry out a macro command to tell the TV to switch to Video 1 vs. Video3, vs. Video5. When the TV turns on, it's left at the last setting. So you may have to press Tv/Video any number of times to get to where you want to be.

Unless the TV has some sort of "back door" code to punch in V1, V3, V5 etc., I can't see how to make this work.

Of course, I may have a misunderstanding of how the IR works, or the capability of these fancy remotes.

Any suggestions?

Chris

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What you need to discover is if there are "discrete IR codes" that can be used to select a specific input. Often the simplest way to check this is to look through some of the Pronto CCF configuration files at www.remotecentral.com for the model in question. Odds are, if discrete codes exist, you'll find them there.

If discrete codes exist, then it's a no-brainer because your universal remote would get programmed to use those and then switching would be just as easy as for your A/V receiver.

If they don't exist, one alternative is to find some IR code that might place the TV at a known input followed by the appropriate number of codes to toggle to the input you want. You would create a macro for each different input that brought the TV to that input. Then you could use that sequence wherever you needed to select the given input.

And if that isn't a possibility, then you need a remote that can remember and update an internal state so it can intelligently decide how many "pushes" of that button to send based on what the input is at now and where it needs to be.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
To add to what Doug said, you may find that the AV3000 has the input commands in its database already. If not, one of the ways to get to a known state with some TVs is to push the channel up button. This often automatically switches the input to the first internal tuner input (eg. Antenna A), and the number of Input button pushes can be calculated from there for each input.

Also, there are some advanced codes that contain Sony discrete inputs for use with a UEI remote such as a One for All 8811 or Radio Shack 15-2103, 2104. These remotes are relatively inexpensive and can be used to teach discrete commands to another remote. You can find more information about these remotes at www.hifi-remote.com.

Finally, there's no need to rush into anything. The $110 price is a pretty common "everyday" price for the AV3000 on the net.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - excellent advice.

Wow - the Channel-Up idea is awesome. I can actually do what I want with my Onkyo Receiver remote - it can learn, and has some basic macro capability.... I just never thought about that approach. Awesome.

Good to know that 110 isn't an "emergency buy now" situation.

--

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.