AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am returning my Revo card this week due to bug in the driver (which seemingly has been around since 8/03 or earlier). Don't want to go past the RMA date and get stuck with it for good.

So.....I'm looking for a card which will be used primarily for music by connecting it via digital coax to my Denon 3803. I'm thinking the Audigy 2 is the "safe bet", but would like other suggestions. Also, if Audigy 2 is the choice, which model? They have several models and its not clear what the differences are (to me). I only need to connect it via digi coax for stereo music...nothing more.

Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Too bad about the Revo, I was just about to get one in the next few days so I could hear the multi channel WMVHD. Oh well... I refuse to taint my PC with anything Sounblaster related so I guess my existing Delta Dio 24/96 stays put. :(

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was in the market for a sound card with a digital output as well, the sound blasters were my first choice but were a bit too pricey. I opted for a Hercules Fortissimo with a digital optical out and it sounds amazing connected to my Denon 3803. MP3's sound about 10X better.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Movies are fine with the Creative labs cards. However, on music be aware that all audio streams are converted to 48Khz on these cards.

I am using an M-audio DIO24/96 without much problems for the last couple of years.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you're looking for a good card for both surround and stereo and handles up to 24/192 sampling, try looking into the TerraTec Aureon 7.1 Space, which can be found on the net for around $150. Just be aware that it comes with optical instead of coaxial, like your old card had (I believe the Revo was coax anyways...).

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm very happy with my M-Audio Delta 410 (as long as I don't enable HyperThreading on my P4PE motherboard).

EDIT:
Quote:
I have just upgraded my P4PE motherboard to P4P800, and the HyperThreading issue with the Delta 410 has vanished! Therefore, the issue was not with the 410 or it's drivers, but seems to be a problem with HyperThreading with the P4PE motherboard. Therefore I can now say I am perfectly happy with my DeLta-410. :)
Not sure if this applies to all HyperThreading capable systems, but on my P4PE / 2.40C Pentium 4 setup I get sound breakups and echos if I enable HyperThreading. I've emailed their support a couple of times but have had no intellegent responses.

So if you are not using HyperThreading, then a Delta 410 can be obtained at a good price these days, and I would give it my recommendation in all other regards.

The nice thing I like about the 410 is the excellant specs, and the fact that it has gold RCA for all connections (8 out, 2 in, and SP-DIF in / out).

Greg

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the TerraTec Aureon 7.1 Space..... just looking for stereo playback actually....but what is the longest length for optical? I just bought a 5m coax from better cables....not cheap...and would be throwing it away basically if I can't find another card with coax. But it is what it is....if I want to get rid of the Revo I may have to swallow the cost. I just need to know if optical can be run past 3m without some sort of repeater (the distance from my pc to my a/v is about 13 ft) Throwing the coax away, buying an optical and then buying a repeater is not sounding like a whole lot of fun. :(

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If all you are doing is passing SPDIF to your dennon, why do you need a "high end" sound card? I've got a $19 A-Open that passes SPDIF quite well to my receiver.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As a former Creative Labs employee (no current affiliation) I would put in a vote for a Creative card, not so much for the features but for the longevity and stability of the company and of their cards.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DIY Guy
goombawa

You should take a look at the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1.
It uses the same sound processor as the Revo and Aureon, but with a better feature set, coax in/out and a software group that stands behind their drivers.
Hey Steve;

Did you upgrade your 410?

Quote:
... and a software group that stands behind their drivers.
:D :D. But honestly, I am about to give up on M-Audio and thinking of selling my 410....

_____

Axel

·
Registered
687 Posts
Axel,

I have to admit it, I have a Prodigy coming this week and the 410 will have to find a new home. Nothing against the 410, it is a great card, but I just couldn't get it to work 100% with my configuration.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Axel,

I have to admit it, I have a Prodigy coming this week and the 410 will have to find a new home. Nothing against the 410, it is a great card, but I just couldn't get it to work 100% with my configuration.
Steve;

....and I thought you were the only one who had no issues with M-Audio...and now this!! :D

What exactly is not working?

Please keep me posted. Since our set-ups are so similar, I am eager to learn more about your "quest".

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
If all you are doing is passing SPDIF to your dennon, why do you need a "high end" sound card? I've got a $19 A-Open that passes SPDIF quite well to my receiver.
Actually you bring up a good point. If all I am using it for is to pass a digital stereo signal to my Denon 3803, why do I need I high end card?

Anyone care to jump on this one? :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Absolutely -

You need no high end card. I never understood that from people having a good AV receiver. Just get a good enough card outputting optical and be happy. It is not like you were going to output any pre process sound from it when watching DVD. Your DVD decoder on your PC will take the sound signal and send it as is to your AVReceiver. For games it is different - you do need a decent card to process the sound well - then send it to the AV for amplification.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.