Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have read with great interest many posts here, but unfortunately failed to find the answer I'm looking for. I, unlike most of the posters here, am not super concerned about the HDTV and DVD quality - I just want a nice big plasma in my living room for watching mainly DirecTV from a Tivo. Even worth, the DirecTV signal is distributed in the house through a 4 channel RF modulator, so I can't even go s-video in. So far I have used a Panasonic AE200 with a Viewsonic VB50HRTV - the quality was good enough in my point of view, but since I don't have a dedicated TV room, getting the room dark enough is too much of a hassle. I don't even use surrond sound, just a normal stereo. Obviously I would like to pay as little as possible for the Plasma, while still have reasonable quality, especially with the normal NTSC source. Can you recommend a display for me?

Thanks,

--bjorn

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I agree with Pooper on this one. I also don't know if you will get to many responses. But if you are dead set on getting a plasma then I would just shop around and get the cheapest thing I could find regardless the make and model because it won't matter anyways based on your criteria.

Good luck though.

Dave

·
23,030 Posts
Tough one. SD DirecTV and "big" just don't go together that well

with any display technology. Then in your case, if you have to

get plasma, then the Panny ED 6UY for under $3K would be the

way to go. That's most likely the best PQ for the money in plasma

if you don't want/need the higher pixel counts. I don't know if

a cheaper 42" ED panel will give you equal or worse PQ than

tha Panny with SD DirecTV.

larry

·
Registered
31 Posts
What da! If you want a nice zippy picture, and aren't worried about the $$. Get the plasma. I have a similar set up in a small and bright room and love the 42inch panny.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If you are going to watch satellite, most seem to agree that either the Panny 42"ED plasma or the Fuji 42" ED plasma deliver the best picture. Also saves money over the HD sets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I might be talking out my ...well anyway, would a scaler make a difference on a DTV signal being viewed on a plasma?? What exactly is the problem with DTV SD signals and Plasmas? Does a newer generation IRD make a difference in video?? I've got a few different irds, and I get much better sound on a newer one, but don't notice much video difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.