AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a projector in the next few months. Ideally, I would love a new HD2 chip pj, but hey...that's not going to happen! My budget is closer to $3000, but I will consider strectching to $5000 if the NEC HT1000 or Sanyo PLV-70 is worth the extra cash. This brings me to my recommendation question. Would it be a better deal to purchase something like the NEC LT240 and a Panamorph lens than spending $2000 more for the HT1000?

A few sub-questions to consider: How feasible would it be to remove the lens when watching standard 4:3 material?

If it is not feasible, how would I watch 4:3 stuff?

I watch more 4:3 material, BUT it is more important to me that the quality of the widescreen DVD and HDTV is as good as it possibly can be.

Here are the models I am looking at:

--Infocus X1 (but it is low on my list due to the resolution)

--Sony Cineza HS10 (widescreen but doesn't break the bank! Very high on list)

--NEC LT240 or LT260 (is the extra brightness worth it?)

--Sanyo PLV-70/SE Cinema 20HD (My favorite so far, but high end of my budget)

--NEC HT1000

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
GJLowe,

I may not be totally up on prices, but I thought the LT240 and the HT1000 were closer than $2k apart, especially considering the $150 rebate on the HT1000. There is also talk about a price drop after the beginning of the year, but they are backlogged, so I don't know how much that would be. If you are talking a new Panamorph for over $1k then you are less than $1k from the HT1000. Between those two choices I would recommend the HT1000 and then if you want to get an upgrade in the future you could add a Panamorph. Talk on the >$5k forum is that the HT1000 sets a whole new price/performance standard, especially for people who like the great 3D images that they get from CRTs. I only saw it for 10 minutes and didn't get a great seat for the demo, but I believe them.

Of course, a lot of this decision depends on your room layout, screen size, LCD vs DLP preference, etc.

--Darin

·
Registered
589 Posts
Stay tuned to the nyc shoot in the >$5000 forum:

"I could be wrong, but I think this is the PJ list:

the NEC lt150 (jfreeman)

Sharp 9000 (newjack)

Marantz S1 (anthonymoody)

nec 1000 (calisto)

hitachi 5500 (calisto)

PGM20Xa (floppo)