AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

Brand new to the forum, unbelievable amount of info. Done quite a bit of searching and couldn't find an answer so thought I would post my question.

About to start construction of dedicated HT in my basement; area is roughly 12' x 16'. I have no option of increasing the width, though I could theoretically increase the depth beyond 16'.

I have 2 children and the we all like to watch movies together so have the need to have seating for 4. Would like to have comfortable recliners. I had hoped to use a combination of a loveseat with recliners on either side, but I am finding that this seems to be too wide (need to be able to walk past the seats given where I will need to place the door).

Based on your experience, is this room too small for 2 rows of seats? I plan on using a projector. Based on everything that I have read, I think that the first row would be too close to the screen, but would appreciate any comments or opinions.

Thanks!

David

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
David,

I have pretty much the same size room(13X16). I have two rows with a riser. We use two love seats(with recliners) from the clearance room at HOM furniture so they are not "real" HT seats. There is just enough room and the pic is fine. We run a 48" X 86" for 16:9 and a 40" X 92" for 2:35. We have room on each end for "overflow seating" when having a larger group.

Two rows will work as long as you don't get too big of a screen and your projector has enough pixels.

Since our theaters are about the same, feel free to contact me with any questions.

scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scott -

Thanks for the info, is there a way for me to contact you directly?

thanks

David

·
Registered
308 Posts
what is your ceiling height, 8'? If so you are going to want to lengthen the room. Have you tried a sweet spot calculator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi UXBridge -

My ceilings are about 104"...except that there is a beam and HVAC ducts that drop down about 10". So concrete floor to beam is 94".

I had planned on using Dricore so will lose a bit of space...do I have the ability to lengthen the room with the constraint of the beam? Unfortunately, the beam is located above where I would want to put a second row of seats on a riser.

How big were you thinking I should lengthen the room?

I just downloaded a sweet spot calc, haven't used it yet

thanks

david

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have an 11 x 16 room and I went with 7 of the Berklin 088's. 3 in the front row and 4 in the back with a loveseat in the middle of the rear configuration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rob -

I took a look at your thread - looks great, very inspirational. One question, where is the door? In the back? If so, can people squeeze by your seating?

thanks

-David

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artler /forum/post/12885212

Hi Rob -

I took a look at your thread - looks great, very inspirational. One question, where is the door? In the back? If so, can people squeeze by your seating?

thanks

-David

The door is in the front right of the room, to the right of the screen. You can see the kitty gate there right now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah - I missed it (my screen resolution isn't so great so I didn't scroll to the right). My situation is worse in that my door has to be in the back of the room which limits that width of my seating

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts