AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've saved about 5K for an audio upgrade. I already have the TV so this is just for the audio. I'm going to be hitting some audio stores here in San Diego over the next few weeks and want to get an idea of what to look at.

Here is where I'm at so far:

AV Receiver: Onkyo NR3008

Amp: Parasound A-23

Sub: VTF-MK3

Speakers:

L/R: (Martin Logan EM-ESL, JBL, PSB maybe?)

Center: ?

Rear: ?

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
HT, music or both? How large is your room? How far is your seating from the TV? Do you ever crank it up real loud and want clean, reference level HT or do you want a speaker primarily for critical music listening sessions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-The room is 99% HT Movies primarily and some video games.

-The family room is 15x17 and we sit about 11 feet or so from the TV. The room also opens up to the kitchen and the floor it TILE. Not sure how that would affect the sound quality. And yes we want CLEAN reference level HT listening. In the Room1.jpg the couches are on the sides but now the main couch is along the back wall not on the sides.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Aren't clean reference level NT and electrostatic speakers incompatible?

·
Registered
20,336 Posts
How much of the $5000, do you plan for speakers? You may need to

re-think the receiver - if you use an amp, you can get by with a cheaper

receiver with pre-outs.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
With a 5K budget, I'd go well under 1K for the receiver myself and put the most of it on speakers and sub.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/20776363

With a 5K budget, I'd go well under 1K for the receiver myself and put the most of it on speakers and sub.

Agreed. If you get an efficient home theater speaker, you may not even need a dedicated amp.

A Denon 3311 can be had for $800-900. Start with that and then add an amp if needed.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20776145

For you application I would look into JTR and Seaton. You most likely are not going to find them at local dealers though.

Seaton,....$5k? ...for that room? Not happening. Unless you mean Seaton SubMersive and some JTR Single 8's .... maybe doable, al ittle over 5k.

Seaton and JTR are the stuff however.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The OP was starting with a $1900 receiver, a $950 amp and a $570 sub, leaving $1580 for speakers and maybe source (blu-ray?). That's way off balance to me. Skip the amp, cut the receiver to a third of that, double the sub budget, get a $300 BR and the rest of speakers.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteTV01
-The room is 99% HT Movies primarily and some video games.

-The family room is 15x17 and we sit about 11 feet or so from the TV. The room also opens up to the kitchen and the floor it TILE. Not sure how that would affect the sound quality. And yes we want CLEAN reference level HT listening. In the Room1.jpg the couches are on the sides but now the main couch is along the back wall not on the sides.
CHT has a 5.2 package with dual subs that would fit your budget and would include the cost of the AVR, even with a wood finish option. A separate amp will not be necessary with these speakers as long as you choose an AVR with a robust amp. It is a superb sounding package that will deliver excellent SQ and clean reference level HT for your application. They will reach wartime volumes for gaming and concert level volumes for music - cleanly. I own the CHT's so I am admittedly biased, but I am confident that they are as good - or better - than anything in this price range for HT. They will embarrass any typical "audiophile" design anywhere near your pricepoint. As mentioned, JTR is an excellent speaker, but more expensive than CHT and outside your budget - particularly if you want a finish other than black. There are forum members that have compared the CHT's to many highly regarded speakers - JTR, Geddes, and others - and the consensus is that the CHT's have comparable SQ. My personal experience leaves me no reason to doubt those observations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 3008 receiver was or still is 1300 on amazon.com.

I could even go up to 6k but thats pushing it. Already have the OPPO blu-ray.

Let's say I'm left with 4700 to spend on speakers after the receiver. I measured the enclosement where the mk3 sub would go(if placed up by the tv) and it's only about 18inches high and the sub is 22 so it won't fit.

I'll check out the jbl single 8 speakers. Keep up the Recommendations

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Quote:
. I measured the enclosement where the mk3 sub would go(if placed up by the tv) and it's only about 18inches high and the sub is 22 so it won't fit.
Why would you want to enclose a sub?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/0

Why would you want to enclose a sub?

One of the suns will be enclosed up front and the other will be to the side of the couch where we sit to watch tv, the 2 rears will be there also in the open but yes I need to put the l/r in the cabinet per the wife.

The front l/r will be enclosed up front and there is a height limitation in the cabinet of about 48 inches so I'm looking for speakers that would go well in there and sound great for 80/20 movies/music.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Quote:
One of the suns will be enclosed up front and the other will be to the side of the couch where we sit to watch tv, the 2 rears will be there also in the open but yes I need to put the l/r in the cabinet per the wife.

The front l/r will be enclosed up front and there is a height limitation in the cabinet of about 48 inches so I'm looking for speakers that would go well in there and sound great for 80/20 movies/music.
Good luck with enclosing speakers and getting a great sound.

Maybe the wife will lit you have some of those cute Bose cubes and hide the bass module in a basket.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Check out Elegant AudioVideo.

They are selling JBL PT800, $1195/pr. Use them all around. That is less than 1/2 price.

And you won't find a better speaker under $2000. imo

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:

I think I would rather skip a sub all together rather than enclose it in a box. That's just going to lead to all sorts of problems...

I also wouldn't spend $2500 on electronics... I'd spend maybe 800-900 on a good receiver with 100 watts or so. That should be plenty of power.

If you're going to put the front speakers in a cabinet you'll want front ported ones. I think I'd look at Paradigm Studio 20's and a CC-490 in the front, Studio 10's in the rear ($3,000 msrp), and a single big sub like a Hsu VTF-15H or Rythmik FV15 or Elemental Designs A5-350...

But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.