AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forums and am needing a suggestion for a 40" LCD TV for movies, games, and mainly sports. Pricewise I'm looking for no more than $3k.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Um well no more than 3k you can buy basically any 40", if thats your budget I'd suggest, if you can, get a 52"... why not right? But look into the Samsung A650 series and Sony W4100, can be had any of their sizes available in your price range. However, if you don't have components yet, I suggest grabbing a blu ray player or sound system with some of that budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which one is better? And 40" is what I'm wanting cause my viewing distance max is probably 8ft and I think anything above a 42" is too much.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Even then I'd say worth it to check 46" but the Samsung will have different colors than the Sony, not to say one is better, the Samsung has a glossier screen and also has the red Touch of Color which some like and some dislike. It comes down to where you're putting it (in regards to glossy screen) and which one is really your preference. Best bet is to go to a store and actually get a look at them. Like I said, with that budget can put in a blu ray player which will make a huge difference no matter what HD set you're looking at, as a set can only be as good as its source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've gone to look at the said tv sets and am still unable to decide on either. The glossy screen doesn't bother me too much and I've already have a PS3 and 360 so I'm set on the source I think. I've looked at the 46" and at the estimated viewing distance I'm going to watching at, it seemed a little to big for me. But I am liking the thin bezel on the Sony even though that really isn't a major factor it just looks cleaner. Which one has better color and clarity though?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Make no mistake, your best bang for the buck is in the LN40A750 at this point. Just so long as the glossy screen or the "halo effect" won't bother you, I think you may have found the "holy grail" of LCDs right there.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You could try the Samsung 650 or if you are daring, the Toshiba 46XF550...which is a top of the line 46" that can fit into the space of a 42". Actually you could probably try the 40XF550 as well...fits into the space of a 37".

How much light will be in the room? That will determine whether or not you need a matte screen or can live with a shiny, glass screen like on the Samsungs.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodahfinger /forum/post/14241367

Which one is better? And 40" is what I'm wanting cause my viewing distance max is probably 8ft and I think anything above a 42" is too much.

I have a 42 inch at 6 feet and I wish it was over 50 inches, it is just too small for my viewing distance. HD resolutions completly change how you look at viewing distances. Remember, buy right, or buy twice. That is the best advise I have heard on this forum, and I wish I had heard it before I had bought my current 42 inch and descovered it was too small for the room. (It was in one room for a few months before it was put into the room it was intended for so the size factor didn't set in right away....
)

·
Registered
378 Posts
At 8 feet a 46" to 50" would be just right

·
Registered
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob /forum/post/14242772

Make no mistake, your best bang for the buck is in the LN40A750 at this point. Just so long as the glossy screen or the "halo effect" won't bother you, I think you may have found the "holy grail" of LCDs right there.

Could you explain the "halo effect"?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm gonna go take a look at the 46" again and see. Maybe I was to bent on a 40" that I thought the 46" were to big. Lightwise in the room it's gonna be pretty bright during the day but at night its pitch dark so I'm thinking a matte finish is what I'm probably gonna be wanting. Thanks for all the advice so far and keep them coming if you have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt /forum/post/14244374

Could you explain the "halo effect"?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1025681

Scroll down to "known issues" section. Basically, because of the reflectiveness of the actual bezel (based on the materials used), when viewing in a dark room off angle, one will see a reflection of the image along the edge of the bezel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts