AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to turn a spare bedroom into a small (12'x13') HT room in the spring. I'm starting to compile my wish list now. I need some recommendations on a 5.1 (7.1) system in the $1,500 - $2,000 range. I have a NIB pair of Speakercraft in-ceiling speakers that I can use for rears if that would make sense.

Just a guess as this will be my first PJ, but I would think 40% TV (mostly sports), 40% video games and 20% movies.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19647901

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE bookshelves and center up front because they sound great and are easy to drive. You can save some money by ordering b-stock . A pair of b-stock Ascend HTM-200 for side surrounds. An Elemental Designs A2-300 subwoofer. Add in a factory refurbished Onkyo TX-NR708 and you're styling 5.1 for $2k. The room is too small for 7.1 and rear-surrounds.

Thanks for the reply and great suggestions. My thread title is somewhat misleading. My budget of $1,500 - $2,000 is for speakers only. HT Receiver is not included in that budget. Would that change your recommendations at all?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan99 /forum/post/19648350

Thanks for the reply and great suggestions. My thread title is somewhat misleading. My budget of $1,500 - $2,000 is for speakers only. HT Receiver is not included in that budget. Would that change your recommendations at all?

If you had music as a high priority and the extra few hundred then I'd go with Ascend Sierra-1s up front. The Sierra-1s is a bit better speaker and are easier to place because of the optional port plugs which let you put them closer to the front wall. Either one will do for your application as long as you can give the 340s some room behind and around them for the rear port to work. I run Sierra-1s and a Hsu ULS-15 off of last year's TX-ST707 (bought as a refub) in my 3000cuft master bedroom.

The other option would be to use the money for a bit more subwoofer overkill - but I don't think you need it in a tightly enclosed 1300cuft room. Perhaps an eD A5s-300 for it's front firing layout and compact size.

I'm actually thinking of doing a similar project in a similar sized room late next year using the CMT-340SEs, HTM-200SEs, and an eD A5s-300. Right now it's just a maybe do it maybe not.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan99 /forum/post/19648350

Was gonna suggest you follow the following link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19641477

But you can upgrade that since the AVR is separate from the price.

4 x 4Ts = $1300

1 x 4C = $160
http://www.aperionaudio.com/catalog/...Family,90.aspx

HSU VTF-2 MK3 = $568
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

Total is $2028 shipped.

That'd be a pretty decent system with some punch to it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would recommend giving Aperion a serious look. www.aperionaudio.com

Aperion makes excellent speakers that would certainly fit your budget and listening needs. If you log into their site .look for small room under the products link. You will find several configurations which would work in your setting.

Aperion is a very highly regarded company, providing exceptional value and performance. One other thing to consider, they are adding a new speaker line called the Forte right after the first of the year,which should be amazing and fit right into your budget and needs. You certainly can spend more and get much less with other brands.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
there is so much you can look at with that budget. Id suggest getting an Elemental Designs sub, the A2-300 is an awesome bang for the buck, and at $415 it leave plenty of $$ to get the other items you want to round out your system.

PSB T5, Energy CF50 or CF70, Monitor Audio BX5 or RX2s, B&W 685, Kef iQs, Paradigm Monitors.

You need to get out there and audition some speakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts