AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying my best to educate myself on selecting a new AVR, but I am starting to become overwhelmed with all the information and choices and getting the dreaded paralysis of analysis.

I have a new samsung plasma 3D tv and found out my old Pioneer Elite vsx-82txs doesn't have 3D capabilites.

I have a 5.1 setup. Fronts are Aperion audio towers that are 6ohm at 91 sensitivity 50-300 recommended power. Center channel is 6ohm at 86 and 50-150 and rears are 6ohm at 84 and 50-200.

The most important thing to me is sound and picture quality for BD movies, ps3 games and daily ATT u-verse cable. I'm not into all the extra connectivity bells and whistles.

The following is a list of AVR's I have looked at online. I have not had the privilege to get to listen to any of them.

Denon avr-791

Denon avr-1911

Marantz sr5005

Onkyo tx-nr708

Pioneer vsx-1120-k

Yamaha rx-v667

Yamaha rx-A700

I am trying to narrow down my list and make a selection soon. I am very apprecitive to any all advice any of you could provide.

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've narrowed the list down more after more manufacturer website reseach and reviews from purchasers.

Onkyo sr608 - tons of positive buyer feedback and the price.

Onkyo nr708 - more headroom. probably not enough to notice a thing.

Pioneer 1120k - most power. previous owner. looks great.

Feedback on these would be much appreciated especially if you have tested one of the onkyo's vs. pioneer.

Thanks

Thanks

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Skip Pioneer.. Get Marantz sr5005. Have SR6003 and souunds is phenomenal. I have also Denon 789 and Onkyo 705. Both tested on my Polk A7 Speakers! and trust me Marantz sounds its fu****g awesome!.... Then Onkyo.

So if you have the money; take first Marantz SR5005. I'm selling my marantz SR6003 to get SR5005.

1. Marantz SR5005

2. Onkyo tx-nr708 or 608 if your budget is tight.

3. ........

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have recently had both the Pioneer 1120 and the onkyo 608 and I prefer the onkyo. The Pioneer does have the internet radio and preouts but if you dont plan on using these two things I would go with the Onkyo. They can be had for a good price at accessories4less and while it is a refurb mine looked brand new. I also liked the Pioneer alot but for the price difference the onkyo cant be beat. I have had the Marantz 7001 and it is a great sounding receiver but you seem to lose a little bang for the buck that I didnt feel was worth it with the Marantz name. I also had to go through 3 to get a working one so that kind of swayed me from them as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdperry /forum/post/19558977

I have recently had both the Pioneer 1120 and the onkyo 608 and I prefer the onkyo. The Pioneer does have the internet radio and preouts but if you dont plan on using these two things I would go with the Onkyo. They can be had for a good price at accessories4less and while it is a refurb mine looked brand new. I also liked the Pioneer alot but for the price difference the onkyo cant be beat. I have had the Marantz 7001 and it is a great sounding receiver but you seem to lose a little bang for the buck that I didnt feel was worth it with the Marantz name. I also had to go through 3 to get a working one so that kind of swayed me from them as well.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I went to a local shop recently and looked at the Marantz, but after talking to my mom she said it is over what she wants to spend on my bday.

I leaning towards the 608 now due to the $100 price difference.

Is the internet radio a cool feature?

Are the preouts for adding an amp?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Internet radio is cool but can get this by streaming it from a ps3 or xbox 360 if you have one. Preouts are for adding a amplifier later on if your speakers need it. The amp section of 608 is pretty good so this shouldnt be a problem for most speakers. I have hooked mine up with some small small satallite speakers, mid sized bookshelves and tower speakers and if powered them all without breaking a sweat. I like to try different gear and I have had ALOT of receivers and to be honest for the money the 608 is the best I have had. You can do better but the money spent to do so just isnt worth it to me.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You know mine is barely warm to the touch. I have been using mostly pioneer the last couple of years and to be honest the 608 runs just as cool. As a matter of fact after watching Kill Bill at fairly loud levels with both this and the Pioneer 1120 I would say the 608 is cooler. Both the 1120 and 608 are great receivers and if I was planning to use my amp in the near future I would have kept the 1120. In my room with my speakers I find I like the sound of the 608 better then the 1120 and it was about $150 cheaper.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I am debating these receivers as well, specifically Onkyo 708 vs Pioneer 1120-k.

Rdperry thoughts are exactly the opposite of winston who enjoyed the pioneer sound over the onkyo.

Their are so many conflicting reports about which one is better, and I cant get a demo where i live. At least not in my home.

Pioneer seems to be the most popular but i keep seeing posts claiming onkyo is better, I dont know if its a brand name preference or people actually compare them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in exactly the same boat as the author of this thread. I'd like to know why you ruled out the yamaha 667? By my research, that if the money was similar, the yamaha is the way to go. I have found it for $100 more than the pioneer 1020 and newegg throws in a free ipod adapter.

Given the price would any of you just go for a yamaha rx-v667 for under $500 with an ipod dock?

Does the yamaha allow for pass through of hdmi signal when its off? I believe the pioneer does not.

And what about the onkyo? It seems those can be had for $100-200 less than the yamaha.

Thanks, and apologies for hijacking the thread.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo
I am debating these receivers as well, specifically Onkyo 708 vs Pioneer 1120-k.

Rdperry thoughts are exactly the opposite of winston who enjoyed the pioneer sound over the onkyo.

Their are so many conflicting reports about which one is better, and I cant get a demo where i live. At least not in my home.

Pioneer seems to be the most popular but i keep seeing posts claiming onkyo is better, I dont know if its a brand name preference or people actually compare them.

Pretty much subjective from both standpoints. From what i've found out over a short time is that onkyo's sound better for HT, not so much for music, but their power sections are really hard to beat. Pioneers sound good all around for both HT and music, but onkyo's rule the roost when it comes to *LOUD* and raw power output.

i was just in this scenario myself a couple weeks ago, and went for the denon 3310.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Dunan i was actually going to say the same thing.

From people who have compared seems onkyo has more power while pioneer seems to have a bit more audio clarity. Based on the 4 comparisons i have seen.

Which baffles me because the onkyo and pioneer should be two highly popular choices and their should be more comparisons then i can read.

I do however prefer audio clarity over power, probably why i am leaning towards the pioneer.

And i am also concerned with onkyo Faroudja, faroudja is clearly in the last place in the video processing area, and it also seems even at 24fps their is skipping.

If im running components through the onkyo i dont want my video messed with, or at least have the option to turn it off.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think alot has to do with your room and speakers as well. I want to note that I really liked the 1120 but I just thought that the onkyo fit my needs and listening taste better for less money. If I planned in the near future get some better speakers I would have kept the 1120 as to be able to use its preouts to my Emotiva IPS-1 amp. I would agree that the onkyo seems to have more weight in the amp dept and I think thats why I liked it over the Pioneer but it was not a night and day difference for sure. Both receivers are great buys just depends on your needs and taste.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/19565794

Dunan i was actually going to say the same thing.

From people who have compared seems onkyo has more power while pioneer seems to have a bit more audio clarity. Based on the 4 comparisons i have seen.

Which baffles me because the onkyo and pioneer should be two highly popular choices and their should be more comparisons then i can read.

I do however prefer audio clarity over power, probably why i am leaning towards the pioneer.

And i am also concerned with onkyo Faroudja, faroudja is clearly in the last place in the video processing area, and it also seems even at 24fps their is skipping.

If im running components through the onkyo i dont want my video messed with, or at least have the option to turn it off.

Could someone please go into more detail and compare Onkyo and Pioneer's video processors? I am starting to really get interested in this stuff

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye8084 /forum/post/19570574

Could someone please go into more detail and compare Onkyo and Pioneer's video processors? I am starting to really get interested in this stuff

IMO you are wasting your money if you are letting the video processor in an AVR, especially in this price range make your decision on the purchase. Get one because it has the other features,connectivity,power,EQ program that you want. All video processors in this price range are handcuffed in one way or another and in most cases only make things worse. Your display will do a better job. The less you do with the video signal the better off you will be.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/0

IMO you are wasting your money if you are letting the video processor in an AVR, especially in this price range make your decision on the purchase. Get one because it has the other features,connectivity,power,EQ program that you want. All video processors in this price range are handcuffed in one way or another and in most cases only make things worse. Your display will do a better job. The less you do with the video signal the better off you will be.

That's not true with regards to the Marvell Qdeo found in the $500 Pioneer 1120 (and the new Elites). It is probably the single best processor available right now. In fact, even Oppo is planning to upgrade their next-gen high-end bluray players to the Marvell.

That said, I do agree that I wouldn't base my entire avr purchase on the video processor alone...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts