AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

Thinking its time to finally upgrade my computer speakers to something a little nicer.

Currently I have a labtec planar magnetic speaker system with a connected subwoofer. The subwoofer has kinda gotten loose and the sub rattles unless I turn it upside down.

I have been looking at a lot of these new two channel speaker systems that a lot of the higher end audio brands are coming out with such as Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Audio Engine, etc. The other option would be to build one with a stereo receiver with two speakers and an external sub.

What's a good 2-channel receiver for less than $300?

What are everyones thoughts? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There are a number of receivers for under $300 from Sony, Yamaha, and Pioneer.

Unfortunately, I consider the sound quality of most of them to be poor.

The TEAC AG-790 is the one I recommend, and it is selling for the rather low price of only $117 at Amazon.

For speakers, I recommend the Dayton B652 speakers.

They sell for the ridiculously low price of $40 per pair, at Parts Express, and are better IMO than almost anything else for under $200.

I bought a pair for my den TV/amplifier setup to replace some much more expensive Boston Acoustics speakers I did not like (after reading the favorable article Stereophile did on them). They are ridiculously good for the money; quite nice to listen to.

Your subwoofer driver might just need its mounting screws tightened; open it up and check for loose mountings or a torn cone.

The JBL ES150 subwoofer is fairly good for $159; probably a lot better than the one you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.