AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a house and am looking to setup a 5.1 system in the living room. I've never done surround sound or anything outside of just using the standard default speakers on the TV/monitor, so I am excited!
The room is 20x20 with 9 foot ceiling, however with the fireplace in the center (unless we decided to mount the TV), we're most likely looking at using closer to 8.5x18 (leaving walking space behind couch).

I've been reading up the last couple weeks but with so many variables in everyone's opinions and setups, I thought I'd just make a post and hope that some more knowledgeable people could help. The system will be used for TV, movies, gaming and music (in that order).

I've been considering the Denon AVR-1912 7.1 (in case I decided to upgrade to 7.1 down the road) and the Denon AVR-1713 5.1 but I am open to suggestions for around the same price range 400-500USD. I liked that both of these utilize airplay and have good reviews.

The speakers/sub/etc are more where I feel like I'm lost. I was originally considering bookshelf type speakers, as they are less obtrusive, like the Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 Speaker System or Cambridge Audio Minx S215 5.1 Home Cinema Mini Speaker System based off of some good reviews and them being smaller in size. Upon further reading, bookshelf speakers may be too small for my listening area? I'm not really sure where to begin looking for floorstanding speakers, as I know that they are generally more expensive.

I am far from an audiophile, as I said, this will be my first setup. I'm basically looking for some good quality surround sound that is relatively impressive (yes, I realize how subjective that is).

Is it possible to get good quality by using floorstanding in the front/sub and bookshelf style for the back/side (I think it would just look nicer as a whole mixing)? Are there any recommendations on such a setup? Or should the 2 not be mixed?

On the speakers/sub, I'm somewhat open in price range. The bookshelf ones I've previously looked at were around 800USD, which is fine. I've seen floorstanding setups from 2,000 and up which starts to quickly get too steep for me. If it's possible to mix the 2 types and meet somewhere in the middle price range of 1,000-1,500, that'd be ideal. If they can/should not be mixed, I'm probably looking around 1,500-2,000 for a set of floorstanding, unless you tell me that's not worth the money and keep saving for down the road.

Thanks for all the help and info!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The receivers you are looking at seem to be exactly what you need. I would stay away from the mini-speakers unless you really need the room, which you don't seem to.

The HSU Hybrid 3 - 5.1 Package looks perfect for your needs, and a great package in general. Coming from TV speakers, these speakers will far exceed the requirement to relatively impress you, plus that subwoofer will be powerful enough to handle your room, so that's one less thing to shop around for.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I agree. The HSU VTF-3 MK4 would be a very good sub for that size room. Two others to check out are the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX and the SVS PB12-NSD. These are all much better values than subs from more well known speaker companies that you will find in brick and mortar stores.

And yes. You could use towers for the front and bookshelves for the rears. If you would like a compromise between bookshelves and towers, look at the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340s which have dual drivers. See this owners thread here on AVS for testimonials and to ask questions. The CMT-340s have a matching center, and then either the HTM-200 SE or CBM-170 SE could be used for surrounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Are there any recommended stands/bases for the 2 back speakers if I go with the HSU Hybrid 3 - 5.1? If I followed the 90-110 degree for the 2 back speakers, I could probably attach the right speaker to the wall but I think it'd look odd if the left speaker was attached to the other side wall, as there would be a good 8-12 feet between the couch and the wall that the speaker was mounted to.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I would suggest a set of KEF iQ30 speakers for the front, which are $399 on the KEF Direct website. Add the KEF C6 LCR for your center channel speaker for $269, and a pair of KEF C1 speakers for $279 for surrounds, and you will have a great-sounding system for well under $1000.

For a subwoofer, I recommend the Rythmic FV12 for $549; it is a good one.

For stands, you want to go with the most massive solid rigid stands you can get. Reviewers use only stands which are metal and can be filled with sand or steel shot to give the needed mass for a rock-solid base under your speakers. Flimsy cheap stands are worthless.

Decent stands cost money, so put a few hundred aside for them.

Another approach is to put the speakers on free-standing bookshelf units that can be filled with LPs or books to give plenty of weight.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
The Hsu system is a good package, the VTF3 is a badass sub. Some supposedly good inexpensive stands are the Sanus SF22, but I haven't tried them personally. The FV12 is a good sub too, but my understanding is it won't be in stock for awhile as it is undergoing a redesign.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG15  /t/1418975/recommendations-for-a-newbies-5-1-setup-in-new-house#post_22201273

Thanks for the input. Are there any recommended stands/bases for the 2 back speakers if I go with the HSU Hybrid 3 - 5.1? If I followed the 90-110 degree for the 2 back speakers, I could probably attach the right speaker to the wall but I think it'd look odd if the left speaker was attached to the other side wall, as there would be a good 8-12 feet between the couch and the wall that the speaker was mounted to.

A stand that will hold more than the weight of the speaker - and with a top plate of

at least 6 x 6 inches, will work. It is better for the surrounds to be above your head,

when you are sitting down. HSU is 14 lb > and 8" wide and 8" deep.

Look here
http://www.standsandmounts.com/30-44speakerstands.aspx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts