AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to go RPTV for my dedicated room for a number of reasons. After reading and doing a lot of research I'm stuck on what to do

I was originally going to go with Sony's 65" widescreen model (KP65WS500 or something like that) Reading about the new RPTVs (new to me) DLP from Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic they started to interest me. Now I'm at a lost of what to do

The Sony 65" tv I'm able to get for about $4500 CDN. Now Sony's 60" GW model goes for $8000 CDN and that is followed by Samsung's 50" DLP model at $7500 CDN.

Price wise it seems the Sony 65" is the best way to go however is it recommended to spend the extra few thousand dollars to get a DLP RPTV? Even if it is a smaller screen? The Sony GW is not a problem for the screen but the Samsung is a slight problem for me as 50" seemed small to me

I'd be using the the TV for DVDs and games so no cable or satellite. Hopefully you guys will be able to give me suggestions on what to do as I'm lost.

Thanks to all who reply

·
Registered
116 Posts
NightStriker,

I'm not an HD expert, but I'm slowly getting there. I currently have a measley 31" 4:3 Panny "No-Def" TV ;-)

I've been researching for a few months now. I want my HDTV!

There's an HDTV for every taste it seems. You'll be fine if you stick with a known maker (Sony, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Pioneer, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, etc.)

Find a set of features and screen size you like. This forum's a great place to get that info.

My 1st choice, which I quickly dismissed because of very steep price, is a 50" Plasma.

Choice #2, which again is a tad too pricey for me is a Samsung DLP. I like the smaller depth of the cabinet as opposed to RPTV, it can display a PC's output nicely, and gives a great picture. Also, I believe it's got less of a burn-in issue.

That leads me to the only viable choice left for me, an RPTV. After reading many reviews and forum threads, I've settled on a Toshiba 50HDX82. I may wait for tosh's new line of RPTVs coming out soon.

I thought very briefly about a front projector, but I don't have a dedicated room for it. Also, they're pricey too.

The next purchase after the RPTV will be a STB that will give me OTA HD programming. I'm tinkering with the idea of making my own HTPC with a spare PC I have. I certainly don't like the costs of those STB out now: $500-$800

Now I just need to squeeze $2000+ out of my bank accounts!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.