AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This thread is more of a combination of a question and statement.

Anyway, I bought my first blu-ray player last year, the panasonic dmp-BD601K

It's a nice rock solid player and I was ok with it's DVD support as far as picture quality goes, etc. One thing I don't like about most blu-ray players though is their lack of features that most stand alone DVD players have, such as A-B repeat, able to enter the number of the title or track/chapter on the numeric keypad on the remote and go directly there. The ability to be able to take the disk out and put it back in later and have the player remember where the disc was. Are there any reasonably priced blu-ray players that have all the classic features I'm looking for ? I've heard the oppos do, but that's way overkill for me price wise because i don't have any sacds or dvd audio discs, or even a receiver with analog inputs, etc. For now, I bought the sony upscaling player from walmart for $60 for my DVDs model number: DVP-SR500H. I'm very impressed with this player, features, pq, etc. My second part of the question though is, Am I going to be forced to have just a regular dvd player around for the features I like, or will blu-ray players ever incorporate them at some point ?

Thanks, any feedback will be helpful.

Oh, I wanted to add, I've gotten 2 new 2010 bd players one for the bedroom and one for the living room as the 601k from last year didn't have netflix support.

Current models owned:

Panasonic DMP-BD85k (living room)

Sony BDP-S570 (bedroom)

Panasonic DMP-BD601K (not in use currently)

Panasonic HT-SC650 theater in a box (living room) 2004 model (5 disc changer)

and Sony DVP-SR500H (bedroom upscaling player)

I know I have a lot of units, but the older panasonic was my main player and theater for about 7 years, the others are numbered because I've had issues with current players finding just 2 i'm fully satisfied with for everything.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan
My second part of the question though is, Am I going to be forced to have just a regular dvd player around for the features I like, or will blu-ray players ever incorporate them at some point ?
If they were going to incorporate them into the cheaper players, they probably would have done so already. The makers want to concentrate on Blu-ray and keep basic DVD playback as lip service to the enormous DVD library in existence. I would not expect them to incorporate what you need into the lower price players, especially since the next big thing is Internet delivery functions.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19552716

If they were going to incorporate them into the cheaper players, they probably would have done so already. The makers want to concentrate on Blu-ray and keep basic DVD playback as lip service to the enormous DVD library in existence. I would not expect them to incorporate what you need into the lower price players, especially since the next big thing is Internet delivery functions.

what about a PS3? I would be willing to purchase one of those at some point if those have the best of both worlds. I paid $250 for the panasonic in the living room, the sony BD player was originally $250 but dropped to $198. The old panasonic theater in a box mentioned above supports DVD audio playback, the sony supports SACD, so i have two players supporting the two the oppo combines, I just can't see paying $500 for a disc player where as most of the cost is for the formats I never invested in when they were the most popular. That's why i was wondering if the PS3 would be better? Just a thought.

Anyway, for now, I have the majority of the features I want since My initial goal was blu-ray, but looking back and seeing the fact I have far more DVDs right now, I'm just trying to find a good cost effective balance between both worlds ad not ending up with a ton of unnecessary players that just collect dust.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
As Tulpa said I really doubt BR players are going to concentrate on adding any DVD playback features. As you've found out Oppo is really the only company that had many DVD playback features on their BR players. The Oppo 80 was a nice player for features but at ~$300 and now no longer available it sounds like a overkill for you.

Your Sony 500 is a decent compact, fairly full featured DVD player and I think your best choice for playing DVDs.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan /forum/post/19552793

what about a PS3?

I would ask in the Playstation forum here or in the Blu-ray player forum (they have a PS3 thread.) The PS3 has very good DVD upscaling since they started updating the firmware, but I don't know enough about their playback features.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19553317

I would ask in the Playstation forum here or in the Blu-ray player forum (they have a PS3 thread.) The PS3 has very good DVD upscaling since they started updating the firmware, but I don't know enough about their playback features.

Thanks guys for all the useful feedback. I have one more question, It's probably the type of question best answered by myself, but here it goes anyway.

Is blu-ray worth the investment in the long run, When I decided to take a chance on blu-ray i wasn't sure with my vision if i'd even be able to appreciate the difference. It turns out I very much enjoy the high definition quality of blu-ray. but is it only a passing fad? or will it ever fully replace DVD like DVD replaced vhs? Also while i'm impressed with the picture quality (and if i had the audio hard ware to experience HD audio, that too) from a software prospective blu-ray seems very unstable and can seem down right frustrating to deal with. While I've had very little hassle myself, I have 1 disc that the pip feature won't play on my 2010 models and only works on my 2009 player. So, will blu-ray ever be as rock solid as dvd has become. I always find mixed reviews for every player I look at, so it gives me the impression that as a whole, consumers aren't fully satisfied with the reliability of blu-ray as a technology.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The tech should improve in time. DVD wasn't rock solid in its beginning (although admittedly it didn't also have all the problems Blu-ray seems to have.)

As for whether the format will be around long enough to completely supersede DVD, that's a much bigger can of worms, and I don't think anyone has the answer yet. Internet delivery is moving into the realm of HD now, but not everyone is set up for it, so it may be awhile before that takes over. It might become rare to find a player without Internet/Netflix/etc. capability, but the disc part should be there for awhile, so any discs you do buy now should be playable in the foreseeable future. Same with your DVDs. So if any of your players have Netflix streaming (the PS3 does), then you're probably future proofed as much as you can be right now.

Your VHS cassettes and laserdiscs (if you still have any) are out of luck, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts