Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently have the following set up in my bedroom:

Panasonic G10 46 inch tv

Xbox 360

Popcorn hour

Comcast Digital Cable

So I'll be using this setup to watch movies from the popcorn hour/Xbox 360, play games and watch cable tv.

I'm looking for recommendations/reviews on a pair of speakers. I don't own an A/V receiver but I'm considering the Pioneer 1019. I don't have the space for a full surround sound setup, but I would like to have the ability to upgrade/add additional pieces in the future.

My combined budget for speakers/receiver is between $1000-$1500. Should I purchase a center channel speaker as well? Do I need a sub right now too?

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16902633

How is this setup to be arranged? do you actually have the room to properly position your speakers? If you do, a center channel wont be necessary, if you want deep bass a sub will be needed.

You're budgeting far too much for the receiver, it should be about 1/10th of your budget not 1/2 to 1/3rd.

Great advice!

I'll only add that you might just buy an inexpensive 2 channel receiver now or even a used 5.1/6.1 AVR, since it's all you'll need for a while. Features I'd consider for your application would be digital inputs, subwoofer outputs, and Dolby virtual speaker.

(this H/K fits the bill, but it's going to take up a lot of your budget. http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...S&prod=HK+3490

You might be able to find it cheaper as a refurb from harman's Ebay store. I just bought a refurb'd AVR 347 for well under $200 there.).

This used NAD AVR, for example saves you a little change, and it would be a great solution
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....190&/NAD-T-743 )

AVRs for the most part are mass market, disposable commodities. "Must-have" features are constantly being added, and who knows, by the time you are really ready for a dedicated room, 10.2 might be standard. Then invest the rest of your budget in a quality pair of loudspeakers, perhaps a sub, too.

as Jay asked, we need more specifics to make particular suggestions, but you're close to a sweet spot budgetwise, and should be able to find a satisfying pair.

If you can afford it, look at Revel. The M12's new, should be within your budget, but a dealer may be hard to find:
http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...asp?product=20

Used M20s are an upgrade, and come up from time to time on Audiogon.

Anyway, that's just one idea to get you started. It all depends on how much space you have, and whether you can locate the speakers properly. If you're just going to put them on a dresser, flanking a TV, probably not worth investing in Revels. The Infinity Primus series is a high-value, budget-priced alternative that is a better idea in more compromised set ups.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16902633

How is this setup to be arranged? do you actually have the room to properly position your speakers? If you do, a center channel wont be necessary, if you want deep bass a sub will be needed.

You're budgeting far too much for the receiver, it should be about 1/10th of your budget not 1/2 to 1/3rd.

Nowadays with the nice discounts that can be had on speakers he can spend $500 on the Pioneer and still get a nice speaker setup for $1000. He could save $100 by getting the Onkyo 607 though.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...c=HP072409_DOW

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the aftermath /forum/post/16902400

currently have the following set up in my bedroom:

Panasonic G10 46 inch tv

Xbox 360

Popcorn hour

Comcast Digital Cable

So I'll be using this setup to watch movies from the popcorn hour/Xbox 360, play games and watch cable tv.

I'm looking for recommendations/reviews on a pair of speakers. I don't own an A/V receiver but I'm considering the Pioneer 1019. I don't have the space for a full surround sound setup, but I would like to have the ability to upgrade/add additional pieces in the future.

My combined budget for speakers/receiver is between $1000-$1500. Should I purchase a center channel speaker as well? Do I need a sub right now too?

I have a Klipsch Cinema 10 system in my bedroom, paid 1,100 for it, it is simply amazing, this setup will last you a long long time, the sound comming from this satelite system is just fantastic, I have it paired up with a Pioneer Sc-07 receiver, the receiver you are looking at will do just fine, if you are interested in the Cinema 10 speaker system PM me to let you know where I got it from, I shooed around and this vendor "authorized klipsch refrence dealer" gave me the best deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bedroom is 12 x 10 feet. I have about 2 feet on each side of the entertainment center for speakers/sub. I don't need a crazy amount of bass at the moment, but if I can fit a sub into the budget I'd love to add it in.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the aftermath /forum/post/16907343

The bedroom is 12 x 10 feet. I have about 2 feet on each side of the entertainment center for speakers/sub. I don't need a crazy amount of bass at the moment, but if I can fit a sub into the budget I'd love to add it in.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a ton right now. That's a tight space, particularly with the room left for placement. If you want towers, check out the Infinity Primus P362 (you won't need more bass!): http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...USA&Country=US

For monitors, the P162s are an excellent speaker, with surprising bass extension. I still prefer them with a sub, however:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...USA&Country=US

No recent experience with Klipsch, but I know those Energys recommended by afrogt would be a great choice as well.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:

If your not to worried about thunderous bass, skip the sub for now. A very high quality speaker with great bass response should do the job. I suggest you take a serious look at the DIY Cable Kepler for $1200. The woofer has tremendous excursion capabilities (about 2-3 times as much as a typical 7" woofer), which should give you solid bass without a sub. This is a true reference quality monitor, it's a Soundstage Reviewers Choice , if that means anything to you. I like to look at the measured response

Pick out whatever $300 receiver floats your boat, and you'll have a great bedroom setup.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:

just try the setup I sugested to you, you WILL NOT be dissapointed, the klipsch cinema 10 system is a complete 5.1 setup with a sweet sub, once set up make sure the speakers are set to small in the receiver, and adjust the subs digital bash amp to your liking, this is a very dynamic set of speakers, and they also look fantastic, http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...ma-10-overview , there is also a product review on the same page. By the way my bedroom is the same size as yours, listening to music and movies with these speakers just brings a smile to my face, dynamic is an understatment, there is no detail that will be missed in your music or movies, this a shop and done deal, you will not have to look for another setup ever, if you are into burning money every two to three years on speakers, do not get this setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on your suggestions I'm looking at either the Primus 362 or the Energy RC-50's. I'll probably just skip the subwoofer for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16909229

Pick out whatever $300 receiver floats your boat, and you'll have a great bedroom setup.

Do I need to worry about connecting my HDMI sources (popcorn hour, xbox 360, cable box) through the receiver, or should I keep them connected directly to the tv? If so wouldn't I need to spend a bit more on a receiver that has more HDMI inputs? I'm new to the home theater game so this is all a little confusing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec /forum/post/16909425

just try the setup I sugested to you, you WILL NOT be dissapointed

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really have the space for the extra speakers. And I'm not a huge fan of HTIBs.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the aftermath /forum/post/16909855

Based on your suggestions I'm looking at either the Primus 362 or the Energy RC-50's. I'll probably just skip the subwoofer for now.

Do I need to worry about connecting my HDMI sources (popcorn hour, xbox 360, cable box) through the receiver, or should I keep them connected directly to the tv? If so wouldn't I need to spend a bit more on a receiver that has more HDMI inputs? I'm new to the home theater game so this is all a little confusing to me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really have the space for the extra speakers. And I'm not a huge fan of HTIBs.

these are far from HTIAB speakers.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the aftermath /forum/post/16909855

http://www.amazon.com/3-Port-Smart-H...380808-7535834

1 - 15 of 15 Posts