AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I posted this in another category and someone suggested to post it here. I don't know how to move it so I reposted it here.

I am looking to categorize my music. If Windows 7 had the meda-data “slots” I would love to use that but they don’t.

If I have no other choice I guess I will have to depend on a media player that keeps a separate library.

I need to categorize each song by items like:

- Type of dance

- Rating

- Party or dance event

- Mood

- Year

Play lists won’t make it as I need to quickly assemble “instant” playlists for dances, i.e. “play the favorite songs having 6 different styles of dance, then repeat. If the player doesn’t have that capability I would hope that I could explore the categorized library and sort it quickly in Excel and make a playlist.

I would like the program to:

- work on Windows 7, Android

- was free or close to it

- stick around for the next 20 years

- Sync songs, playlists, etc. seamlessly between the PC and Android

If there is a more appropriate forum for this type of question, please let me know.

Thank you,

JJ

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Foobar2000 can be configured to do basically anything you want, but you have to hope someone else has made a plug-in or do it yourself. JRiver is a great program that has good support and is full featured, however after the trial you need to pay a one time license fee which I think is $50. I would give JRiver a try, its very well made and in my opinion worth buying.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
I would give JRiver a try, its very well made and in my opinion worth buying.

Having run foobar since 2009 now and recently tried JRiver - I find JRiver restricted in its setup, confusing and less then straightforward. I had no problem setting up asio in foobar (M-audi 1010lt soundcard) which was easily identified by foobar but I could not find it and set it up in JRiver.

JRiver is a multimedia player, unnecessary complex for audio only and costly, and if you only need audio - foobar is free and starts out simple and can be loaded with a multitude of plug ins. as complex as you like it. Check out the Hydrogenaudio website which hosts foobar forum for help.

Playlists can be easily created by foobar by drag and drop from a library, or you can just add to playback cue on the go from the library display. Just click and add.

For those who think it makes a difference you can also load songs into RAM and replay from there.

Foobar gives you more options regarding organizing, evaluating and replaying including a multitude of DSP add ons including various displays than any other player I have tried, including db poweramp, media monkey, winamp, vlc etc.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwilliams623  /t/1521132/recommendations-for-categorizing-or-organizing-you-music-library#post_24443250

Sorry, I posted this in another category and someone suggested to post it here. I don't know how to move it so I reposted it here.

I am looking to categorize my music. If Windows 7 had the meda-data “slots” I would love to use that but they don’t.

If I have no other choice I guess I will have to depend on a media player that keeps a separate library.

I need to categorize each song by items like:

- Type of dance

- Rating

- Party or dance event

- Mood

- Year

Play lists won’t make it as I need to quickly assemble “instant” playlists for dances, i.e. “play the favorite songs having 6 different styles of dance, then repeat. If the player doesn’t have that capability I would hope that I could explore the categorized library and sort it quickly in Excel and make a playlist.

I would like the program to:

- work on Windows 7, Android

- was free or close to it

- stick around for the next 20 years

- Sync songs, playlists, etc. seamlessly between the PC and Android

If there is a more appropriate forum for this type of question, please let me know.

I'm confused. Meta data support is a characteristic of the file format, not the operating system. MP3 and FLAC and even the WAV file format support meta data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3 & other pages that you can search for with google.

http://xiph.org/flac/format.html

·
Registered
67 Posts

Yes. You need to look into tagging.

Most (all?) downloads now come with metadata and artwork as standard. If you rip yourself you can add metadata from free sources easily.

I use foobar for everything. Fine alternatives exist.

All tagging schemes I know have a GENRE field. Discogs adds STYLE. You can easily add your own i.e. SUB-GENRE.

Then learn how to create playlists on the fly using search queries. It soon becomes second nature.

Beatport downloads are worth having a look at in your situation. They include the BPM and ININTIAL-KEY tags. So not only can you find all STYLE=EDM, GENRE=Techno, SUB-GENRE=Detroit in a playlist you can also select tunes with similar BPM that will sound good (in key) together.

You'll soon get the hang of it with a little practice.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Music Collector costs around $30.

Great software program for organizing any music library (by genres, composers, performers, tracks, albums, etc. etc. etc.)

collectorz.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts