Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to buy the JVC 3K.

What component to RGB converters would do the trick ?( I remember reading that some would only do 480p). Also which one would produce the least amount of signal degradation? I have a front projector with only RGB inputs.

Please help!

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
John. The best one seems to be the Extron CVC-200 which is carried by HI-REZ and AV Science. Next at some savings is the Key Digital unit also available at both.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the one sold by audio authority ( I think) Any user feed back avail.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tuohy
What about the one sold by audio authority ( I think) Any user feed back avail.
I used to have that one. It's a great converter, but it only works for 480p signals. It does not work for any HDTV or 480i, 576i, 576p. The Key Digital on the other hand works with almost anything: 480i, 480p, 540p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, but it does not work with 1080p.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies

This forum has saved me from some costly mistakes!

It has also prompted me to buy some costly toys :)

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
John- I use the Extron Converter (Purchased from AV Science). It has handled any component signal I have thrown at it and produced a stable RGBHV output for my Electrohome ECP-4000 requirements. I also switch two component signals (Panasonic Dst50 tuner and a Panasonic RP56 P-scan DVD player) with the Denon receiver before these signals reach the Extron.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don,

I need to trandscode from component to RGB for interfacing the JVC to my DILA, I also need an RGB switcher to switch between the output of the transcoder and the output of my scaler.

Anyway to combine these units into one as opposed to buying a separate component to RGB transcoder and separate switcher?

Steve

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Don

I am tring to get some pricing info on the Extron ( holiday will slow that a bit ) the key dig version is $320 but has the advantage of two VGA outputs. If the extron is not significantly more I'll bite the bullet.

Living in NYC with no way of getting satellite (apartment restrictions) makes buying this seem a bit extravagant

$1,200 for the JVC

$350 for the switcher

$800 for 16 x9

with only a few tapes announced in D-vhs, I may reconsider buying until more titles are announced and the rest of NY digital stations return.

The price we early adopters pay :(

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
gages-

First I'd check with the projector manufacturer. I use the Electrohome and it has as options, up to 4 RGBHV inputs internally and a breakout box to mix more RGBHV sources, all IR switchable. I would imagine that the DILA may also have such optional switchers but have never looked into it.

The next idea comes to mind is a CPU electronic switch. I use one at my work station that can switch 4 CPU's to one KB,mouse, and monitor. All you need is one with the monitor but the ones that work electronically are the ones to look for. Don't bother with the ones with rotary switches. They are cheap mechanical units and don't perform well at all.

I also saw a vigatec being used for switching and scaling where all signals are upscaled to 1080p for the projector. This looks like the best option but is also the most expensive. Jay Nemeth uses this vigatec system.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don,

I had my DILA modified so that it synchs to 1080i and the output from my CI Scaler on the same input. That's why I need an RGB switcher. Guess I need to bite the bullet when I get the JVC.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.