AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I'm looking to take my basement back down to the studs and redesign it with sound isolation in mind. I am too busy and to inept to do this on my own so I'm looking for some companies in the Northern Virginia area who others recommend and specialize in home theater build, especially with expertise in sound isolation.

I've started with the companies listed in the master thread on these companies here in this forum as well as referred to the CEDIA website. But I'm also looking for some personal references too.

Thanks for any input.

Randy

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman /forum/post/15504269

Well I think I'm looking to take my basement back down to the studs and redesign it with sound isolation in mind. I am too busy and to inept to do this on my own so I'm looking for some companies in the Northern Virginia area who others recommend and specialize in home theater build, especially with expertise in sound isolation.

I've started with the companies listed in the master thread on these companies here in this forum as well as referred to the CEDIA website. But I'm also looking for some personal references too.

Thanks for any input.

Randy

Given that most of us in the NoVA area that are active in this forum are doing our own construction and design, not sure how much we can help. If I was not inclined to do my own design/construction I would just hire someone like Dennis or Terry to draw-up the blueprints and hire a local contractor to follow their instructions. Sound proofing isn't rocket science at the end though. We're talking about decoupling, two layers of drywall, GreenGlue and minimizing wall penetrations. 20 minutes of reading would teach you all you need to know. Now, sound treatments is a whole other beast. That area is a bit more laced with black magic where a Dennis, Terry or Bryan's expertise far exceeds what you can do on your own.

In the three years of hanging out here, I have yet to hear of a local company who espouses the same construction techniques that are the "rule of thumb" around here. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
That's a great idea...have Dennis build your room and we'll have a NoVa meet there. I've not seen a room that Dennis built. I've experienced one that he designed (AWESOME!), but never one that his crew built.

Go for it!

CJ

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts
Why wait for HT2.0 I want a chance to see the IN82 DLP light cannon and how you dealt with the offset, and to play the Sopranos Pinball machine.

I suggest a meeting now of all us armchair quarterbacks (AKA the NOVA brain-trust) and we can brainstorm layout and design alternatives for you to consider.

Chiliman are you thinking of partitioning off the space to create more of a dedicated theater or keep it open and trying to optimize the sound management for the entire basement?

By the way I have the 099s too and I will work for FOOD.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15505809

I suggest a meeting now of all us armchair quarterbacks (AKA the NOVA brain-trust) and we can brainstorm layout and design alternatives for you to consider.

I'm definately in. We should definately vitis the "before" so we can get a feel for what he's dealing with.

When and where?

CJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Saddle up and ride, I'm in. I've always advocated a "before" meetup, good to see what's going on prior to walls ....

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow guys. I've been working pretty much since posting this. Now it's catch up time. In fact that's part of the problem. I'm in the restaurant business so by definition I do not have time on my own to work on this even if I didn't have 10 thumbs. Then of course add in the kids into my schedule and there we go....time to hire someone else. I just need a group or person who has experience in hard to tackle home theater designs.

Cathan: I'm pretty versed on all that goes into the sound isolation. I'm a daily lurker here but don't post much. You're idea of getting a professional design and hiring out from there might be the best idea. But I do have some serious issues to overcome. The most significant is what to do with the HVAC air intake in the middle of the theater area right behind the chairs. I think the only way to deal with this is, if possible, actually relocate the HVAC unit behind that wall.

Dennis: I will be in touch with you Monday or looking at my schedule most likely Tuesday.

Big: Heck, those are old pictures. I need to update. The way I dealt with the IN82 is replace it with a Marantz 11S2. While the IN82 was in I lowered my screen enough that using the keystone for 3 notches had no effect to my eyes. My problem with the IN82 was serious rainbow problems. In fact I've had the Marantz up and then had my new Stewart 235:1 screen and Panamorph lens sitting in a box for 4 months while I opened a new restaurant. Now it's time to do this right before I go through the trouble of installing the rest of the new equipment. As far as partitioning the room, no, I am determined to have a large entertainment space. It's all about having friends over, playing the games, shooting pool, etc while watching a game. It's a trade off in audio performance I'm comfortable in making. One big man cave is my style. And I've just added Target Toss Bags and a Golden Tee is on the way. (it's always good having connections in the business)

Everyone: Let's get it on! I'm game for a meet up. All ideas are seriously valued!

Later

Randy

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. I've hired Dennis Erskine to design and possibly build my basement rebuild. It won't be one of his website wonders, budget just isn't there for that, but I'm excited about working with him on this project. It will be nice to have my CIH system up and running that's been sitting on my floor for 6 months!

Randy

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Good news!!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman /forum/post/16226945

Well. I've hired Dennis Erskine to design and possibly build my basement rebuild. It won't be one of his website wonders, budget just isn't there for that, but I'm excited about working with him on this project. It will be nice to have my CIH system up and running that's been sitting on my floor for 6 months!

Randy

Sweet, I'm sure it will turn out incredible. Post lots of pictures

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dennis and his head of construction (going blank on his first name damnit) flew up today for a 2 hour visit to learn the room and talk the design out a bit. Now that's service. I did not remotely expect that when I hired him. I think this is going to be a spectacular experience with perfect results.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman /forum/post/16226945

Randy

Well, if you don't mind my asking - what IS your anticipated budget for this project? I ask because I am also the type of person who would prefer to have a professional do this type of work whenever possible. (I'd be scared to miss a really critical step in a DIY theater, and getting it right would be important to me.)

Anyway, I'm getting ready to close a refinance that will give me an open line of credit, but would like to know if hiring someone like Dennis is even in my league, or if doing it myself is the only option because of price...

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Webel /forum/post/16413389

Well, if you don't mind my asking - what IS your anticipated budget for this project? I ask because I am also the type of person who would prefer to have a professional do this type of work whenever possible. (I'd be scared to miss a really critical step in a DIY theater, and getting it right would be important to me.)

Anyway, I'm getting ready to close a refinance that will give me an open line of credit, but would like to know if hiring someone like Dennis is even in my league, or if doing it myself is the only option because of price...

I'm not the DIY'er kinda guy either. My time is all at work or relaxing.

I'm also terrible with keeping to a budget on things like this but with that said when Dennis and I spoke initially my concerns were can we get a quality job done in the $50k range given I have most of all the equipment we would use. Looking on his, or other's website, would always scare me off but he does $50k jobs all the time. Like he said, there aren't $200k jobs all the time but those are the one's he'll always put on the website of course.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman /forum/post/16413631

I'm not the DIY'er kinda guy either. My time is all at work or relaxing.

I'm also terrible with keeping to a budget on things like this but with that said when Dennis and I spoke initially my concerns were can we get a quality job done in the $50k range given I have most of all the equipment we would use. Looking on his, or other's website, would always scare me off but he does $50k jobs all the time. Like he said, there aren't $200k jobs all the time but those are the one's he'll always put on the website of course.

Hope that helps.

And what do you get for $50K? Please keep us in the loop. I will be interested in a similar project as soon as I buy my first home. Some time next year I am hoping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts