AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of setting up another HTPC and want to go to a smaller form factor (D.vine 7 box). I'm thinking that someone has found a decent half height audio card (I've got an email out to m-audio to see if they have any 1/2 height cards planned). Anybody find anything decent, or have they been relying on risers or on the mother board's integrated audio (which many are sporting AC-3)?

My first was a Kanam black case/ASUS P4PE MB/Intel P4 2.4 533FSB/1Gig Kingston 333/ATI AIW8500/Revolution 7.1/Stealth fans and Zalman flower coolers/Seagate 8mg 160gig barracuda/Nexus NX-3000 PSU/Gyration KB & Mouse/MS XP Home edition. Virtually silent, though the Seagate does still click (but a lot quieter than a earlier 200gig Maxtor 8mg). I've got that plugged into an Onkyo TXSR800 receiver w/ Monitor speakers. My video (don't berate me) is a Sony 27" TV, which, believe it or not, is not bad at all. My wife and friends are amazed. Sure the graphics stink, but if you adjust the video size and oversize the lettering, you can get by. I'm waiting for the Plasmas to get more reasonable before I spring for one.

This new system I'm building (using a D.vine 7 box b/c it's sooooo cool looking!) is to go into a new workout room to plug into an Onkyo (HT-S760 with 1 coax and 1 toslink in) home theatre set up (which I'm planning to get from One Call.com, but have been thinking about a TX SR601 with a 7.1 Onkyo HT speaker system from Vanns.com). I know, I know, with all the noise in the work out room, why do I care if it's silent? For the same reason people climb mountains. The challenge and the thrill of it all!

For the video, I'm thinking of a 1/2 height ATI 9200 w/ 128 on-board ram b/c its just to play DVDs (either the discs in the box or off a hardwire network (all cisco/linksys stuff) from a media server -->Dell Power Server 600 SC with 4 120gig 8mg cache various HD, I'll be tucking into a closet somewhere).

Anybody have any thoughts on either the audio (I'm asking for advice on)or video (ATI 9200) cards ?

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.