AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently doing a bit of a renovation in my kitchen / lounge combined area. I currently have a 55" samsung LED TV and am considering installing a projector / screen instead as part of this project.

Some of my issues are there will be a 5m bifold door and a window in this area. I plan to install large roller blinds to block out 95% of the light during the day when using the projector.

Another thought was do I keep the TV, recess it into the wall and have a motoroized projector screen that would drop down over the TV for the movie watching on the projector.

The other option is get rid of the TV all together and just install the projector and fixed screen. Problem is I'll see the screen all day everyday even when I have my breakfast.

Would be nice to open up the bifold door at night and play sports on the projector that can be viewed from the balcony etc.

I have a budget of 5k subject to change. I already have a sony DN1040 receiver.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hi,

I am currently doing a bit of a renovation in my kitchen / lounge combined area. I currently have a 55" samsung LED TV and am considering installing a projector / screen instead as part of this project.

Some of my issues are there will be a 5m bifold door and a window in this area. I plan to install large roller blinds to block out 95% of the light during the day when using the projector.

Another thought was do I keep the TV, recess it into the wall and have a motoroized projector screen that would drop down over the TV for the movie watching on the projector.

The other option is get rid of the TV all together and just install the projector and fixed screen. Problem is I'll see the screen all day everyday even when I have my breakfast.

Would be nice to open up the bifold door at night and play sports on the projector that can be viewed from the balcony etc.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony.
$5K is actually a very generous budget for projector and screen. Even if a complete set of 7.1 speakers are needed, you should be fine.

Critical to choosing a projector is the room dimensions including ceiling height, seating distance, and light control.

The Benq W1070 projector is popular. I use mine for all my TV watching, even during the day with blinds closed over the windows and at night with enough lights on to read by if I wanted. I sit 11' from my 122" screen. The W1070 has the best combination of color accuracy and brightness under $1500. It also has a shorter-than-usual throw distance of lens to screen. From a 120" screen it can be anywhere between 10' and 13' from lens to screen. It must be mounted either upside down from the ceiling so the lens is between 3" and 8" above the top of the screen, or on a table sitting upright the same distance below the edge of the screen.

If you decide to keep the TV in place and buy a retractable screen, you should not be surprised to spend as much for the screen as you do for the projector. It seems crazy for a piece of PVC and a roller mechanism, but that's how it is. Don't bother with a retractable screen that is not "tab-tensioned". The ones without the tab-tensioning are junk and will never be completely flat (not even when brand new) and then just get worse over time with waves and curling edges. Waves in a screen are very distracting during a movie. It might be cheaper to get a fixed-frame screen and a "lift" cabinet to put the TV in. Just a thought.

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
Hi,

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony.

I've had a projector since before 2003 - nothing like it! That is what I'd do. Call us at AV Science if we can help - we have some good deals on b stock Sony HW30 projectors that would be great for a first projection set up ! :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
yea if you go fixed frame you can easily get a nice setup for a 5k budget. I bought my epson 5030ub, screen, Onkyo TX-NR737 reciever, 12" klipsh sub, 2 front floor standing deftechs with matching center and back surrounds all for a bit over 6k. You can definitely save some money on different gear and maybe find some nice deals to get you well under what I paid.

I would love to do a motorized screen with an actual TV someday but for the price of the screen I elected to just do the fixed screen. Right now it's just for movies and sports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts