Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need to put in some rear speakers, and need some help picking them.

The speakers can't need more of a vertical cutout than 8.5" (width is no problem -- up to 20" or so). The speakers will be mounted vertically (i.e., not on the ceiling) about eight feet high. Their backs will be open to a large crawlspace.

The speakers will be used as rears for a 5.1 system as well as for a Nuvo Essential whole-house audio system. To do this I'm running two pairs of 12-2 in-wall speaker wire from where the 5.1 receiver will live to both the rear speakers and the Nuvo Essentia. I'll use an AS1 automatic speaker switch from Sonance to have the speaker connected to both the Nuvo and the HT Receiver.

Anything obviously wrong with this idea? Any ideas for good in-walls that will sound decent in an "infinite" space?

Budget is $600 or less for the pair.

And any opinions on the NHT 1.5CI speakers ?

Help appreciated,

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a large cavity behid the speakers, but the crawlspace leading up to the speakers is only 18" high. Whatever speakers I get have to be installable from the wall side, which leaves out all the cool IB designs.

I guess I just have a simple question -- how do I get an inwall speaker that doesn't have the equalization to compensate for being in a wall?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Keep in mind that the backwaves of the speakers firing into a large common area will be very audible in all rooms adjacent to that area. I don't make Triad recommendations on this forum unless someone asks by brand, and Triad is above your budget, but you should probably find something enclosed, or at least with an optional backbox. A backbox introduces other problems if the speaker was designed for infinite baffle, but they are not enormous problems in a surround speaker, and containing the bleeding of the back waves may be very important.

You will still need an inwall that is designed for flat response in a wall, despite what is behind that wall. Again, in surround speakers, this is a minor consideration. At worst, you will have a 2-3 dB bump between 100 Hz and 200 Hz, which will be inaudible, unless you play your surround channels too loudly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, your triad in-walls need subwoofers -- which exceed my size requirements.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, your triad in-walls need subwoofers -- which exceed my size requirements.
The Omni series is full range. Read the spectacular review of the InWall Gold/4 Omni ($400 each) in the latest Home Theater. The reviewer says they're the best inwalls for under $1000 a pair. And they have bass out the wazoo. And an enclosure. And...we don't advertise in Home Theater! :D

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richardkaufmann
I do have a large cavity behid the speakers, but the crawlspace leading up to the speakers is only 18" high. Whatever speakers I get have to be installable from the wall side, which leaves out all the cool IB designs.
Thanks to Rich's comments, I just had an epiphany (not really the right word) about building an IB box that can be installed and assembled from within the room. It only takes a small amout of extra material and work. Interested?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.