AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new AVR & speaker system. I've had a Htb Sony System for about 7 years now and while it was adequate I've always wanted to upgrade and now is that time. I'm pretty green to all this and while I've heard of many of the speaker brands I have done some reading and do understand the basics. I've combed through these forums and have found some great information and advice.

I also currently have a 52" Toshiba Regza 52XV545U which I am pretty pleased with. I also have a PS3 that I use as my DVD/Blu-ray player.

Currently I am renting on the ground level of a house and the living room is around 15' by 15' with the kitchen behind it. At some point I will move to bigger living room and want to make sure I plan accordingly. For now I was looking at just building a 5.1 system but have it flexible enough to move up to a 7.2 in the future. I'm also a bit wary of getting too powerful of a system, because of my neighbors are just upstairs and am afraid a powerful sub might cause issues.

I've targeted my budget at around $1,500 but might be willing to go a bit higher. I do subscribe to the notion to get good equipment the first time around as I plan on having this equipment for 5-10 years.

I just have a few questions:

1) What AVR? I've seen a lot of good feedback on the Onkyo TX-SR607 as well as the Onkyo TX-SR707, so those come to mind at first. I really have no brand loyalty in this department so I'm open to just about anything. Is there any brands I should avoid? One issues I have with my Toshiba is the slow HDMI switching time. Are the receivers HDMI switching any faster?

2) I'm in Vancouver, BC so a lot of the options I've seen people listed might not be feasible for me. Any Canadians around that might would have recommendations on where to shop? I've been to Future Shop, Best Buy & Visions and don't put a lot of faith in their expertise.

3) Speakers. This is where my knowledge is probably the most lacking. Most of the usage it will get is for watching TV, DVDs & BLu-rays. I know the best way is to judge for yourself, and I pan to but wanted to get some ideas in mind before I start to look.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No thoughts? I know this must be a pretty common request, but I have scoured the forums, and spent hours trying to get a direction in which to go but am still not sure what to purchase. While this was my first post I have been lurking a while and I know there is some great knowledge and insight here that could help point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Its hard for U.S. people to give good ideas because of the major price difference between here and where you are. The Onkyo 707 would be a good choice as it is able to add an amp later if needed. For speakers I would start looking into the Paradigm Monitor line up. Excellent speakers for the money, however again I have no idea what they sell for in Canada. Good luck and maybe some of the Canadian members will be able to help more and offer more selections and advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18145258

Its hard for U.S. people to give good ideas because of the major price difference between here and where you are. The Onkyo 707 would be a good choice as it is able to add an amp later if needed. For speakers I would start looking into the Paradigm Monitor line up. Excellent speakers for the money, however again I have no idea what they sell for in Canada. Good luck and maybe some of the Canadian members will be able to help more and offer more selections and advice.

I appreciate it, and I know it makes it a bit harder being in Canada. I appreciate the input. I see that the Paradigm monitors aren't for sale online, but have found a dealer nearby, I'll have to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/18145475

go over to Stereophile- i think it was John Atkinson's his article on recommendations of a system- different price levels- a good starting point.

db

Thanks! I looked at the site and couldn't locate the article, but have found a few similar ones at different sites.

If anyone else in Canada (especially Vancouver) has any advice I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
Try to snag some Energy RC speakers on clearance from one of your local stores. If you can't find any, perhaps snag these Infinity P362 towers. They're available for pick up in several Vancouver area stores.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ce6faba849en02

the PC250 center is also available at Vancouver Best Buy stores
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...0c5ec70cb6en02

now you're up to about $700 for your front 3. Get your receiver next.

The Pioneer vsx-919 is avialable on clearance for $399 from the Futureshop store
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...27bac7dae4en02

Surrey-South Surrey only one that shows it in stock.

Grandview Corners

2267 160 Street

Phone: (604) 535-5660

Now you're at $1100 with a nice receiver and 3 front speakers. Decide next if you want surrounds or a subwoofer. I'd go for the subwoofer.

I only checked Best Buy and Futureshop. Since I don't live in Canada I didn't know where else to look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great stuff! I don't think I'll be able to get to Future Shop until the weekend but that looks to be a great price. Also the 3 HDMI also worries me. Looking around I think I might up my budget a bit because after this I don't plan on buying any new AV equipment for awhile.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in the BC interior but all I can say is prepare to be gouged, especially from places like Future shop (now owned by best buy in mpls).

What I found is that except for clearance specials most brands were still way above US msrp even on sale. Pioneer seemed to be the most discounted south of the border and to have the most inflated prices around here -- nearly half again as much as full retail south of the border.

Yamaha, at least at small local shop seemed to have more realistic Canadian prices and there was very little difference in price between ordering one from someplace like B&H photo video and local once shipping is taken in to account (DONT SHIP UPS STANDARD OR GROUND!)

I also found some relative deals on clearance models. Last week London Drugs on Kelowna had the Onkyo TXSR 876 on sale for about half it's normal price which is quite a deal -- check with a local LD and see if they can transfer one from a different store. Kelowna may still have theirs. I was going to buy that one and then found a Yamaha RX-V1900 for about the same price which is very similar in specs and a great amplifier.

I would check any Future Shop/Best Buy clearance special against the prices in the states since the beginning prices are so inflated.

For speakers I bought Paradigm which I think were a very good value. I was going to buy some Klipsch speakers also on clearance at London Drugs but after listening to similar priced Paradigms side by side it was no contest. There's a place in ontario called Gibby's that has prices for Paradigm on the website but note that these are full MSRP and you should expect to pay at least 10% less and probably more like 20% less than the posted prices.

Hope something above helps and good luck! It really is amazing how much a decent sound system improves the movie experience.

Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been burned by UPS before, never again!

I have found a few 'deals' (I use that term loosely!)

I am considering the following three AVRs:

Yamaha HTR-6280B

Onkyo TXSR707B

Pioneer Elite VSX-21

Theya re all roughly the same price, the only difference the Pioneer being a mail order, which I'd like to avoid everything being equal.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Onkyo, but want to make sure that the AVR is good with the speakers I buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do any of these speakers stand out? I know ultimately it comes down to my personal preference but I'm going to have to go to several different stores and they are all going to have different variables.

I've upped my budget a bit so I don't mind spending a bit more now rather than try to upgrade later.

The ones I'm considering and plan on looking at this weekend are:

Infinity Tower Speaker P362

Klipsch Icon Tower Speakers VF34

Klipsch Espresso Tower Speakers WF34

JBL 4-way Dual 6" Floorstanding Loudspeakers ES80BK

Paradigm Monitor 7 Speakers

Polk Audio RTi A5

Polk Audio TSi500

Most are roughly the same price with the Infinity's being the cheapest and getting more expensive.

Is it important to have the same brand of center, sub & surround speakers?

What is the difference in the Klipsch VF-35 & WF-35?

I was unaware of the no price talk and I made a post last night with prices and vendors, so my post didn't go through and I got my hand slapped. My bad, but now I'm not sure if I should post this question in the speakers forum or just continue on here.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I would target the Paradigm first and then the Infinity Primus. Polks were too bright for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.