AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a rotor for my antenna and have no idea as to the make or model to buy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use the Channel master CM9521 rotor with remote control rotation from Stark Electronics. It is located here; http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmmatv.htm#rotor . I like it, and Stark was easy to deal with.

----------------------------------Dave

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I have the Channel Master 9521 as well. It works great. The IR remote with the precise programmable settings is definitely worth the extra money over the wired box with the mechanical controls. It makes it very easy to map each digital stations "range" of solid signal and then pick a point where they all come in well. I didn't look real hard but I think this unit (wired or wireless) may be the only commercially available one around. That looks like a pretty good price. I think I paid about $100 from Radio Shack (shipped to my door).

ron

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also have the channel master and it works great. I used to have to dial rotator, this is hassle free!!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Yup, I've had one for a few years and it's great.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Also,

An antenna installer in Lockport NY has some CM heavy duty 9515 rotors,bundled with the remote control,that he purchased from CM,on an end of production close-out, for $139.For large combo antennas,or stacked arrays,the 9515 works much better,thicker gears,better brake and lasts longer.

You can email Rich Wertman at:

[email protected]

Not affiliated,just some FYI.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was looking at getting one of these too. How is it installed? From the pictures, it looks like it is attached to the top of the mast, and then the antenna is attached to the rotor. Is this correct?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, the rotor should be as close as possible to the antenna.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another suggestion is the NTE rotator although this unit does not have a remote control. You can also purchase a bushing which adds much to the stability especially when stacking. The rotator is 59.95 and the bushing is 19.95. You probably could use the bushing with a cm rotator but I was told that cm is currently changing models and the new ones will be out in July.

The Saint

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you have a really big antenna, you might want to invest in a rotor with a thrust bearing. I bought the PHillips unit. The TB mounts above the rotor a couple of feet and takes the load off the rotor unit. Model number is U=105 and TB-105. Costs around 90 bucks for both parts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Neil, I have just had a terrible experience with Warrenelectronics.com. Nice people, but they really boggled the shipping after Fed Ex lost my merchandise. They may be able to correct the problem if they value customer satisfaction, but it will have to happen by tomorrow. If not, I'll probably just post my last e-mail to them explaining the whole situation.

·
Registered
302 Posts
FWIW, with the CM w/IR control - if you use a universal remote that has macros (like the Pronto) you can program in the antenna direction along with the channel selection info. You press the icon for the station and the STB goes to the channel and the antenna rotates. Good cool factor if you have stations in different directions. HNick

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My antenna is in an attic above the 3rd floor. I have access to DTV stations in 2 opposite directions. I've thought about a rotor (have power near the antenna), but can't run a control wire to the TV (I pulled the RG-6 during a renovation). Has anyone had success with converting IR to wireless X-10 signals through the AC wiring? I have other controls with an X-10 box. thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Grins,

What is the downside if the rotor is not located just below the antenna?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ideally you want to have about 2-3 of mast above rotator to reduce side loading. The rotator can handle a lot of side loading, but the problem is that it increases friction which causes the unit to go out of sync easily. This is why you want to balance the weight of your antenna during install by adjusting the fore/aft position if your antennas allows it.

Since I swap antennas so often, I keep my rotator on a 4' mast and add two 5' lengths of mast above rotator. I have a 1' mast clamped to the rotator, this allows me to change antennas without any tools. I keep other antennas mounted to their own mast for fast changes. This setup moves a lot in high winds, but I have done it this way for over a year using the same rotator with no problems. My lower mast is anchored very securely to a steel frame. I do not recommend anyone try this, but it goes to show the rotator CAN take a lot of abuse.

I use the CM-9521.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The rotor I am using is one I bought at Rat Shack about 15 years ago. I have had to "overhaul" the control box twice (burnt up contact points) but the motor has given me no problems at all. I think this rotor is now around $60.

L8r,

Justin

·
Registered
192 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.