AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Not sure they will fit your price point, but I am running Definitive Technology AW6500's and am very happy with them. I saw a used pair on eBay for $250.

· Premium Member
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott /forum/post/16849698

Not sure they will fit your price point, but I am running Definitive Technology AW6500's and am very happy with them. I saw a used pair on eBay for $250.

I installed these at my father-in-laws:

Proficient Audio AP850
I think they list for $350 but I bought last winter for $258

I would also check out:
James Loudspeaker - link
Speakercraft - link
Axiom Algonquin - link

Good luck,

Mike

· Premium Member
3,858 Posts
You have likely seen this, but here is another thread at AVS...
Link

I posted some more links in there.

Mike

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/16855897

Where are you located? I ask because though there are some inexpensive models, they don't fair well in bad weather (such as where I am). $250 is easy though...Elan makes some good models that are truly all weather.

Hi Jason,

I'm in Colorado. While there is no sea-salt in the air, it can be pretty cold/hot and very windy where I'm at. They would be under a Sofit that has an attached canopy (though near its edges). Further thoughts?

· Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryN /forum/post/16859629

Hi Jason,

I'm in Colorado. While there is no sea-salt in the air, it can be pretty cold/hot and very windy where I'm at. They would be under a Soffet that has an attached canopy (though near its edges). Further thoughts?

I have two pairs of these in two different outdoor zones. They are unobtrusive, yet sound surprisingly nice. Bass is present and quite noticable given the right location. The design solution for protecting the wire connection is novel and effective. But, my bottom line was evidenced in the abundance of compliments I received during an outdoor party this past weekend.

· Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryN /forum/post/16859629

Hi Jason,

I'm in Colorado. While there is no sea-salt in the air, it can be pretty cold/hot and very windy where I'm at. They would be under a Sofit that has an attached canopy (though near its edges). Further thoughts?

I know this is out of your budget, but I highly recommend these speakers. I've seen them used in various outdoor locations with great ease. They have an excellent mounting system, as well as accessories that help protect itself over time.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Control-25...8149071&sr=1-1

You might be able to find a deal somewhere else if you look hard enough.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your insight. I found some Boston Acoustics Voyager 6 speakers for $220, so I thought I would give those a whirl -- given they're priced better than the market value.

Thanks,

Avery

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, interesting story... at a price of $115, I wasn't sure if it was a per-speaker, or per-pair price. Most places seemed to sell them by the pair. When I asked the sales person, they told me it was a per-speaker price -- which still was pretty discounted.

Needless to say, two *pair* of speakers arrived at my door.

I ordered from thenerds.net; it looks like they're out of the white ones, but have the black ones still.

And, I found no indication that they're refurbished.

Good luck.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Thought I'd bump this thread to say I'm in the same boat.

I'm currently looking at either the Klipsch AW-650 or the Boston Acoustics Voyager 7. If anyone else has any further suggestions of what would be comparable to these two models, please list them. :)

(I've already taken the Polk Atrium 60's off my list... for some reason the sound seemed sort of muddy to me. I didn't really care for my Polk towers I bought a few years ago either, so maybe I'm just not a fan of their 'house sound.')

· Registered
57 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back to life. I'm trying to decide between a pair of Definitive AW6500's and the B&W WM6 . Any insight would be appreciated.

· Registered
2,930 Posts
boston voyagers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.