AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice putting together a simple sound system for playing music, mostly bass-heavy electronic, in a medium size living room.

Budget: $700. Ideally I'd like a good sub-woofer, speakers with good clarity and power, and an amp/stereo input with bluetooth and/or USB input.

The pre-assembled option to beat is the Sony Shake-33. I'm a big Klipsch fan, but they're obv expensive and cannot be used for all components, hopefully one or two.

Ideas?

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Got to hand it to Sony. That’s a unique system and has some visual entertainment value for a younger crowd. It also has a horn, so it should be very clean and clear at the upper frequencies. If you buy it and think it is lacking, Amazon will provide free shipping back, so there is little to worry about. Still, it may be a system more for the short term and not for expansion. If you like Klipsch, you might go to the Klipsch owners thread. There are very knowledgeable posters who know Klipsch inside and out, and should lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd look around the used market. Try your local craigslist, Audiogon, USA Audio Mart... you can find great deals in there. A whole system for $700 is tough.

·
Registered
65 Posts
denon e300 avr-$250
pioneer bookshelves bs22-$125
pioneer center spc22-$100
fluance avbp2-$120
nxg bas 500 sub $270

little bit over but a great budget setup.

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
+1 to sleepn's recommendation. The Pioneers are well-rated speakers for the money. The sub is also well-rated for its price (here's a good review).

Since you're looking for a two-channel set-up for music, skip the center and surround speakers for now and that drops the total to $645.

If/when you decide you want to do HT (or other multi-channel audio), just add the SP-C22 and (IMO) another pair of SP-BS22s (instead of the Fluance speakers) for surrounds.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I've realized that most of your suggestions are unavailable here in Italy to my surprise and disappointment. I'm going to use an old receiver and speakers, invest in a good sub for now and upgrade when I can, started a new thread about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts