AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading thru a lot of the posts on these forums and there's tons of info ... which is why I'm asking this question cause I'm a bit lost

Here's what I'm looking for ... I'm probably gonna buy a Benq W100 projector and use it in my basement (which has one very big window). Since this will become the main TV in the house I would like to have the ability to watch it with ambient light (I don't want to have to sit in the dark all the time just to watch TV). So a screen that is good with ambient light is probably my main concern. The next thing I would like is a screen that's decently cheap (maybe $50, definitely under $100). I also would like a screen that's fairly simple to make ... maybe a few coats of paint or something similar (preferably nothing requiring the setting up of a chemical lab to put all the ingredients together or driving to 15 different stores for the ingredients
). And last but not least something that looks good (for a person who is used to a normal TV at the moment
)

So far from my reading I think the Behr Silver Screen paint would be a good choice, however, I'm looking for second opinions. One thing I'm concerned about with a gray screen is whether the Benq W100 is bright enough to use gray instead of white ... if someone could comment on this that would be great. Also if the Behr Silver Screen is in fact the best choice in my situation could someone provide a bit more info (ie: what primer to use (will be using hardboard probably), flat or gloss base (I've read someone trying gloss), what's the latest accepted formula for this paint, how many coats of primer, paint, etc.)

Thanks so much for any and all feedback,

Harry

P.S. I should also probably mention that I will be runing the projector in economy mode in order to have the bulb last as long as possible (not rich enough to afford tons of bulbs
) which will affect brightness.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for that quote ... much appreciated. Also thanks for the PM. Wonderful info. However I do have a question about the post you posted ... if I understand it correctly, when it comes to recommending the screen, he first says the projector does very well with a gray screen (got enough brightness), then he mentions that on low power (which is what I will be using) it looked pretty good on a white screen and did quite well with ambient light in the room. Then he says that a high contrast (gray?) screen does well in a dark room but a white screen would do better in a family room (I'm assuming that means in a room with more ambient light). But then he says a gray screen does better with ambient light than white, completely contradicting what he just said before about white doing better in the family room with more ambient light ...

So I'm a litte confused ...

Thanks,

Harry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts