AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and read various posts.. liteon one's seem to look the best.. but, can people give me some other names of ones that actually have a trackball built in, or stick, etc.. that they use, and the distances that they are using them at? I need one that will do about 20 feet....

thanks for the help yet once again..

also, any ideas on where to get these liteon wireless keyboards would be nice.. I can't seem to find them!

·
Registered
697 Posts
i got mine made by globlink its very good.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dnoyeb
also, any ideas on where to get these liteon wireless keyboards would be nice.. I can't seem to find them!

You can find the Liteon here . It's in stock. I much prefer the Gyration (I've owned both) which is also available at this site.

Bill H

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, after looking at some of the ones that you guys have recommended, that gyration one looks awesome.. at first I wanted to have the mouse on the keyboard (ie a stick) but that moust that can be done off a desk (in air) seems like a great idea.. so, that's what I am looking into buying.

Now, comes the question, in this package, will I need to buy anything else? does it come with the reciever and any software that I'll need to get it going properly?

if so, I know what I'm getting for xmas from my woman! (among other things)

Hope to hear back from some of you gyration owners.

Thanks!

bd

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dnoyeb

Now, comes the question, in this package, will I need to buy anything else? does it come with the reciever and any software that I'll need to get it going properly? bd

Comes with everything you need. The mouse has rechargeable NiMH batteries and a recharging cradle. Keyboard uses AAA batteries that last forever. You simply plug the RF reciever into a USB port (uses standard windows drivers-so nothing to load on your part) and 'learn' the mouse and keyboard to the RF reciever. Thats it!

If you take the time to search the web you'll be able to find the setup for around $85.

Bill H

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I have just noticed it for 90$ with free shipping at buy.com.. I think I'll be getting it there, mainly since I have dealt with them before and know that they do a great job on getting stuff shipped ..

thanks for the information, can't wait to get this, along with my retrofit case that power's making for me.. man, this xmas will be a technogeek fest at my house.. buhahaha I love technology gifts. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's a new one out by Microsoft. It's a wireless bluetooth keyboard (no need for line-of-sight IR). Pretty nice from what I've seen - the major downside to it is that it only works with Windows XP w/SP1.

They're also a bit pricey - about $150. Here's a link to once place selling them that I've had some good luck in buying from in the past:

http://www.directron.com/msdesktopbt.html

I'm seriously considering this one for my own HTPC.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
A popular wireless keyboard is the Airboard and is about$25 and has a built-in mini stick pointing device, I ordered mine here: http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_acc_airboard.html

My old board is dieing and this will be my replacement, should be here on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Jim

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I think that the discontinued IBM, which is still available here

is perhaps the best value and performance for the money. The keyboard and gamepads work fine - the mouse is a sorry power hog but you can use the mice on the gamepads for rudimentary mouse control.

For $70 for keyboard and 4 gamepads or $10 more for the mouse its still perhaps the best choice for some; especially if you are into an occasional game

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
dnoyeb

Consider strongly in your purchase whether IR will suffice in your environment. If you will always be in a direct line with the IR receiver it works great. If you like being 'wherever' then go with RF. The nicest thing about the Gyration is the mouse being seperate from the keyboard...and it has a scroll button. The keyboard is also significantly smaller than the airboard.

Good luck in your decision!

I'm part of the 'Power' retrofit buy myself. Can't wait.

Bill

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
With remote devices you have many choices... The first and oldest is IR... The advantage is you can program a universal remote to execute macro's or work girder (but no where near as versatile as a IRMan or similar)... But then you have line of sight issues etc...

Then you have RF... Nice and reliable... Pretty fast for the gamers and usually has some distance (up to 30 ft as long as its not logitec !!!) The intel stuff that was discontinued is very well spoken about.... Problem of course is you cant make your pronto Tx Rf signals

Lastly and new on the scene is bluetooth... having no experience I hesitate to comment but I would guess that it is comparable to RF (though perhaps less range... ) but I have not played with one...

For me (as in Highlander ) there can be only one... I have no problems with having a line of sight keyboard and the philips keyboard and Rx allows the pronto to act as a touchpad mouse.... These are discontinued and are the proverbial rocking horse **** but I know a link or two that still can provide them... This gives you not only girder button press but the ability to use the same pronto Tx for any unexpected pop up... If I want to game I either use a stick / pad or a USB keyboard....

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've bought other items for softwareandstuff without a problem in the past.

Jim

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I'll just chime in as another happy Gyration customer. Zero hassle, zero time to setup, truely plug in and go. You asked if everything is in the package - they even include the AAA batteries for the keyboard.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I love my new Gyration!!!!!

The optical mouse works great on shag carpet and the sofa cushions. The keyboard never misses a key stroke. The gyro feature works well, but take a very steady hand.

I also have my airboard ir reciever plugged in to accept my MX-500 commands.

I tried using the airboard but hated the pointer. Then I bought the Philips/Pronto ir keyboard. That is one amazing ir keyboard and pointer! I stopped using it because I replaced my pronto with the mx-500 and the mx-500 isn't compatible with the philips reciever :(

But with the Gyration setup I no longer miss the Philips keyboard. BTW I'm selling the philips keyboard if anyone is interested.

~Jay

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
So the folks that are talking about the gyration kybd/mouse you are talking about the GP170-001 and not the GP260-001 for ~$100, right?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.