AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My existing receiver is dead I need a new one. Are there any existing receivers that still have metal cases? I do not need surround sound or want  it. I have two rooms I need to have speakers in, my family room 20x17 and a smaller sun room. I have looked at the specs on a lot of receivers and am confused. I just need to be able to have two different sets of speaks connected. If possible I would prefer to have the sun room speakers connected by some wireless system, I would appreciate recommendations for that. Otherwise I will have two floor standing PSB speakers T5 not sure if I need a sub will see how it sounds first. I will have  a single soros speaker Play 5 in sunroom.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
If you don't want a AVR going with a stereo amplifier. However you may have a problem when it comes to surround sound codecs. Some integrateds have a DAC and DSP inside but I'm unsure if they accept and downmix DTS & Dolby Digital to 2 channel, and have bass management.

I think Cambridge Audio and Audiolab make a DAC-stereo pre-amp integrated thing.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Even though you don't want surround sound, you should still buy an AV receiver. The reason is economies of scales. The huge majority of units manufactured to day are AV. That means the stereo models have relatively small production and more expensive and do less. You can buy a perfectly competent AV receiver for $200 that will handle things fine for you. It won't care that you only use 2 amplifiers.

Incidentally the AVR will give you a couple of features that are still useful for stereo - bass management and room calibration.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
yeah apart from a (example) a £500 stereo integrated amplifier would sound better than a £500 AV amplifier.

Of course stereo integrated amplifier lack HDMI inputs and video switching, coaxial and digital inputs, multi-channel DAC/DSP to downsample, HD audio over HDMI.

Even if you always use 2 channel pure direct, and don't use room EQ, unless you are specially building a 2 channel Hi-Fi with sources like CD Player, tape deck, record deck, mini disc, vinyl, music streamer, and if you have any inkling of connecting video sources like DVD, BD player with DTS/DD decoding (but I guess you could use analogue outputs)

I have a AV amp connected to my PC system, even though I most use 2 channel from FLAC. Gaming in 5.1. But AV amp offers DD/DTS decoding, integrated won't. Also video switching from computers, console, and Dolby Digital Live encoding from computer, TV shows with DTS etc.

So hard to say really if 2 channel Hifi is a high priority...however AV amps can do Hifi. Just not as good, IMO.

I do have a high quality stereo pre-amp but that's in audio-only system. No video sources in that.

Ideally you want something like a AV amp but with the center, and surround/side amplifiers not fitted. Also AV amp have a DAC, if you have sources with poor analogue section using one in your AV amp could offer better sound (plus it means bass maangement done in digital domain)

What are all your sources? Do you have any video sources, consoles, BD player, DVD player? If you don't then you can just buy a regular stereo receiver/amplifier not a av amplifier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts