AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and need some help. I used to work in the audio industry but have been away for about a decade so I don't know what is good anymore. I'm remodeling a living room and will need to go with either some very small bookshelf or satellite speakers to make up a 5 channel system, with the option of going to 7.1 very soon. The system will integrate with an older 50" slim profile Sony projection HDTV that will be used mostly for movies, some video games and streaming videos from a Mac Mini computer. - and yes, some music via iTunes (.WAV files). I'll also be buying a new HT receiver in the $500 range, probably a Yamaha or Onkyo.

Here's the catch:

1. I need to be able to mount all speakers (except center and sub(s)) on the wall, and I need them to be able to swivel mount to virtually any angle.

2. I don't want to spend more than $600. I can add the sub(s) a little later, so that is another budget.

3. The room is approx. 20x20 with standard height ceilings.

Over the past 20 years I have owned several pairs of Magneplanars and B&W's. So I like speakers that image nicely. I don't need to it to play super loud, but I want them to fill the room. I first was nearly sold on a Polk RM85 system, because they can be had at a deep discount, and they are a little more efficient than most. But it looks like the mounts wont allow for any angling of the speakers and the rear channel(s) will be mounted high up on the walls. I then discovered the Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS5.1 system, but they arent very efficient and I'm not sure if they will fill the room with enough sound. I wont be able to audition anything before i buy so I'm looking for some input on these and any other possibilities I may have overlooked.

Any info or opinions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Bud

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman /forum/post/20855713

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and need some help. I used to work in the audio industry but have been away for about a decade so I don't know what is good anymore. I'm remodeling a living room and will need to go with either some very small bookshelf or satellite speakers to make up a 5 channel system, with the option of going to 7.1 very soon. The system will integrate with an older 50" slim profile Sony projection HDTV that will be used mostly for movies, some video games and streaming videos from a Mac Mini computer. - and yes, some music via iTunes (.WAV files). I'll also be buying a new HT receiver in the $500 range, probably a Yamaha or Onkyo.

Here's the catch:

1. I need to be able to mount all speakers (except center and sub(s)) on the wall, and I need them to be able to swivel mount to virtually any angle.

2. I don't want to spend more than $600. I can add the sub(s) a little later, so that is another budget.

3. The room is approx. 20x20 with standard height ceilings.

Over the past 20 years I have owned several pairs of Magneplanars and B&W's. So I like speakers that image nicely. I don't need to it to play super loud, but I want them to fill the room. I first was nearly sold on a Polk RM85 system, because they can be had at a deep discount, and they are a little more efficient than most. But it looks like the mounts wont allow for any angling of the speakers and the rear channel(s) will be mounted high up on the walls. I then discovered the Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS5.1 system, but they arent very efficient and I'm not sure if they will fill the room with enough sound. I wont be able to audition anything before i buy so I'm looking for some input on these and any other possibilities I may have overlooked.

Any info or opinions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Bud

IMHO get a pair of good bookshelves and build upon that. The 2 front speakers reproduce most of the sound. I would get a pair of Image B5 and maybe a couple of 100$ surrounds and get a center later on.

NHT makes some decent bookshelves.

You can also have a look at these...
http://www.nhthifi.com/bookshelf-spe...r-Surround-5-1

You can have a look at Polk and Energy RC series. Energy makes some pretty good speakers and should fit your budget.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Bud-welcome to AVS. I know a few people using these mounts and have been considering them myself. Would they work for you?

http://www.jr.com/pinpoint/pe/PPT_AM40/

Also, I came VERY close to buying the Energy RC-10 speakers a while back but went a different direction. At the time they were discontinued and I almost bought a used pair for $350. Recently Vann's found a bunch and have been selling them new for $299. I've been recommending them for the past few days but I'm in no way affiliated with Vann's or Energy.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

·
Registered
498 Posts
To properly answer your question I am going to suggest these speakers, they seem to satisfy your requests. (except maybe the 20x20 room)

http://hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.htm

Now, I am going to follow suit and suggest that you acquire a nice set of bookshelves and add on from there. The reason i say this is your room size and your previous experience with very popular high quality brands. I am not implying that HSU is not high quality, but those speakers are tiny. (but mountable!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I think I need to clarify that I was looking for an entire matching set of speakers. I really didn't want to go with bookshelf speakers because then I would have to buy separate mounts which could add as much as $50 per pair and further cut into the budget.

Having said that, it sort of sounds like you guys are saying I cant buy 4 speakers plus a center channel for that price that are worth a [email protected] Is that correct? :) Hey, I thought I'd try!

After I wrote my original post, I discovered the Polk Blackstone TL-350 system that retails for $600 for 5 speakers. The price is right, and I could add two more identical speakers later for 7.1. The only drawback is that I would have to purchase separately the threaded omni-mount style brackets to mount them on the wall. Are any of you guys familiar with these speakers?

If those won't work maybe I will need to succumb to the 3 front speakers idea for now. There are a lot of options for $300-$350 front bookshelf speakers, plus center channel to keep me around $600 total. Maybe I need to look into that some more.

On another note, do any of you know a good cheap source for those threaded omnimount brackets? (-in case I need to go that route). I checked Monoprice, but they only have other styles.

Thanks again for your generous input.

Bud

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz /forum/post/20856231

To properly answer your question I am going to suggest these speakers, they seem to satisfy your requests. (except maybe the 20x20 room)

http://hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.htm

Now, I am going to follow suit and suggest that you acquire a nice set of bookshelves and add on from there. The reason i say this is your room size and your previous experience with very popular high quality brands. I am not implying that HSU is not high quality, but those speakers are tiny. (but mountable!)

Those speakers are in the budget but they'll need separate Omnimount brackets. Does anyone know of a cheap source for these?

I guess I'm starting to open up to going the route of a pair of bookshelf spks plus center channel for now. Originally I wanted all matching speakers so the WAF would be high. My wife has put up with stereos made up of odds and ends for years. With a new living room, it's gonna have to look nice.

Thanks everyone.

Bud

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman /forum/post/20860929

Those speakers are in the budget but they'll need separate Omnimount brackets. Does anyone know of a cheap source for these?

I guess I'm starting to open up to going the route of a pair of bookshelf spks plus center channel for now. Originally I wanted all matching speakers so the WAF would be high. My wife has put up with stereos made up of odds and ends for years. With a new living room, it's gonna have to look nice.

Thanks everyone.

Bud

3 of these would run you $10.50 + shipping as far as I can see.

Use two on the center.

Grab your speaker wire and sub cable from there as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK....I'm back to square one on this. For a while I thought I could go with a floorstanding speaker in the front but no go. So I'm back to considering the Motion 4's. I'd probably be happy with 4 of those and an HSU sub, but the $500 is really my top end and I'd still have to shell out $$ for Omnimount brackets. I looked at the Monoprice brackets and the wife isn't going to go for it. I'm still looking for suggestions.

I considered the Axiom stuff for a while, but they cant be swivel mounted without a clunky looking aftermarket bracket. Also, owners seem to love them or hate them. I'm not sure i would like the Xoverless bass drivers. But really the deal killer is that I'm not able to use an Omnimount bracket with them.

I also looked at the HSU bookshelves. I even corresponded with Dr. Hsu, (great customer service) but no way to wall mount these without using a non Omnimount bracket that would look awkward.

So lets try this again....Any other suggestions for sub $500 bookshelf speakers that either use an omnimount bracket, or come with their own swivel mount brackets?

How about sources to buy the Motion 4's for less than retail? I checked New Egg, Vanns, One Call...everyone sells these for retail. Also, any cheap sources for Omnimounts?

Thanks,

Bud

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.