AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Please give some opinions of this system.
I've listened to them, but not feeling overwhelmed.

And if you can recommend some local stores in the Southern Cal area will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
We need to know a little more about your space and needs. Off the top of my head, you are a paying a lot of money for fancy looking cables and an expensive receiver.

Provide us with this information and we can better help you:

1. What are your needs, 5.1/7.1/etc., and do you have any existing equipment?

2. Budget, what are you looking to spend on everything?

3. Room size, HxWxD, and is it open to any other areas? Is this a dedicated space or a living room? Will you be installing a projector or have a TV?

4. Listening habits, breakdown of music/movies, do you like it loud, or have neighbors, basshead, etc.?

I can guarantee you will get more for your money by buying stuff yourself. Hooking up speakers is as easy as inserting a wire into a binding post, you don't need to pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. What are your needs, 5.1/7.1/etc., and do you have any existing equipment?
5.1, Nothing yet

2. Budget, what are you looking to spend on everything?
5-7k for the audio (spending 4 on the TV)

3. Room size, HxWxD, and is it open to any other areas? Is this a dedicated space or a living room? Will you be installing a projector or have a TV?
The system in my living room, 40ft long by 20 ft wide

4. Listening habits, breakdown of music/movies, do you like it loud, or have neighbors, basshead, etc.?
Classical, movie, video game, pretty wide range
I am pretty picky because I love music. I have burmester in my car and love it.
Neighbors are far away

I can guarantee you will get more for your money by buying stuff yourself. Hooking up speakers is as easy as inserting a wire into a binding post, you don't need to pay someone to do it.[/QUOTE]
The back speakers are in wall, and i need them to install the whole system for me.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
If you want to have someone do it for you, then I would just visit some hi-fi shops and see what you like the sound of.

B&W is one option, but there are lots of good choices in this price range. Don't waste your money on Audioquest cables, contrary to what the dealer tells you, they don't offer any different sound or video quality. Grab a big spool of speaker wire from www.monoprice.com and save yourself several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Seems like you are going with in-walls and in-ceiling speakers. This forum generally does not favor architectural speakers for the reason of sound quality. If you really need to do in-wall & in-ceiling, look for speakers that are fully enclosed and not open-back. E.g., Definitive UIW II series and Axiom M3 in-walls. And look for free standing subwoofers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front speakers are not in wall, but free standing.
The 2 for the back will be in ceiling.
The Sub will be in wall because i have a 1 and 3 years old.
Also debating between AVR-X4100W and SC 85.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Huh :confused::confused:

Why do you think that you can't have nice things when you have kids?

A little supervision goes a long way. ;)

I've been through 2 kids and had bookshelfs on stands, a sub without a grill and a 50" flatscreen just sitting on a low stand, no wall mount. Everything survived unscathed, even the kids.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'm not sure what your issue is with subwoofers and children. All have some type of grill and if you are worried about toys stuffed in the port, face the port against the wall with perhaps 4 inches of clearance. Note that some subs are down-firing. What do you hope to achieve with a subwoofer?

Your info is a bit sketchy, but I will assume 8 foot high ceilings. Do you have an open floor plan (rooms open to your listening room)? If so, how large are the adjacent rooms? How far away from the front speakers is your listening position? How loudly do you listen to music and movies (loud, very loud, reference levels)? I also suspect you are looking for floor-standing speakers instead of bookshelf speakers on stands for safety concerns, right? Have you gone out and auditioned some speakers that you liked? If so, what were they? What is the reason you are budgeting so much money on the AVR ($1,000 to $1,600)? I also agree with Transmaniacon that expensive cables and connections are a big waste of money. I also agree that, besides your rear speakers, there is no reason to have someone install your system.

Yeah, a lot of questions, but in order to help you better, inquiring minds need to know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have an open floor plan (rooms open to your listening room)?
It is connected to the half open kitchen but the other 3 walls are closed.
If so, how large are the adjacent rooms? same size
How far away from the front speakers is your listening position?
17 ft away
How loudly do you listen to music and movies (loud, very loud, reference levels)?
loud but not super loud
I also suspect you are looking for floor-standing speakers instead of bookshelf speakers on stands for safety concerns, right?
no, we built in some space for the speaker inside the wall
Have you gone out and auditioned some speakers that you liked?
I got recommended the BW CM9, they sound pretty good. (as per the photo attached) If so, what were they? What is the reason you are budgeting so much money on the AVR ($1,000 to $1,600)?
Recommended by the installer, I did not plan for that.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
With a budget of $6000, here is how I would break it down:

$500-700 for a receiver depending on the features you need.

$2000-2500 for subs, you have a large room and are going to need a pair of large ported subs to have any kind of decent bass.

And then spend the rest on speakers. I would buy your own stuff and then just pay someone to install it if you don't want to do it yourself.

Figure about $100 for speaker wire and cables.

The important thing is to listen to different brands and see what you like.

Reactions: Kini62

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With a budget of $6000, here is how I would break it down:

$500-700 for a receiver depending on the features you need.

$2000-2500 for subs, you have a large room and are going to need a pair of large ported subs to have any kind of decent bass.

And then spend the rest on speakers. I would buy your own stuff and then just pay someone to install it if you don't want to do it yourself.

Figure about $100 for speaker wire and cables.

The important thing is to listen to different brands and see what you like.
Thank you, and I usually go over, and the quote I've got on that post is around 8 on the material alone and 3 of the installation and programming.
In that case, what speakers and receiver are recommended?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Thank you, and I usually go over, and the quote I've got on that post is around 8 on the material alone and 3 of the installation and programming.
In that case, what speakers and receiver are recommended?
If I were you, I would go with a Denon AVR-X4000, a pair of Rythmik FV15HP, and then whatever speakers you like the sound of. There are tons of brands out there, go see some local dealers and listen to what they have, and see what stands out to you. You are in Southern California so there should be plenty of audio shops there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone
I've ordered the
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 pair with Pioneer SC 87
I like the SF more than CM9 after 30 min sitting in front of both of them back and forth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts