AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help on acquiring 36" speaker stands for my (to be purchased) surround speakers. I know 36" isn't all that common but that's the height I need to clear the back of our listening couch. I know Sound Anchors can make them; I spoke to the owner yesterday and he was very helpful and I have SA products before and they are very high quality. The price for the stands though, $680 kind of threw me a little, and there is about a 3-4 week lead time to get them made. I have been trying to find a used pair and have found a couple of 28" Sound Anchor stands but nothing 36". Some of the other stands I looked at through Google search appeared too flimsy for heavy monitors (from the pcitures) but since I have no experience with them I don't know. They also need to look good since they're going into the family room.

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Ian

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Looking for some help on acquiring 36" speaker stands for my (to be purchased) surround speakers. I know 36" isn't all that common but that's the height I need to clear the back of our listening couch. I know Sound Anchors can make them; I spoke to the owner yesterday and he was very helpful and I have SA products before and they are very high quality. The price for the stands though, $680 kind of threw me a little, and there is about a 3-4 week lead time to get them made. I have been trying to find a used pair and have found a couple of 28" Sound Anchor stands but nothing 36". Some of the other stands I looked at through Google search appeared too flimsy for heavy monitors (from the pcitures) but since I have no experience with them I don't know. They also need to look good since they're going into the family room.

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Ian
Ian: Try Anthony at A&M fabricators. I just received my metal custom made stands yesterday. I'm a previous sound anchor owner (still have center stand and an amp stand). The new A&M stands are really terrific stands and about the same price as mass market stands. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/#!custom-projects

Quick communication and beat their est completion date by a day. It seems most made to order items take longer than the companies projections. The fact they beat their projections, how well they were packed and the quality of the product shows they pretty much got this down pat....well oil machine.

Ron

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much to all for the replies. :)

The pedestals look cool but the footprint is to big for the space. I really wanted to put floor standing speakers there (there are a couple of great deals on Audiogon) but the wife thought they looked terrible behind the couch. That would be a cheaper solution. Anthony's stuff looked like it might work especially if I could get something that looked like the Sound Anchor stands.

Thanks again and interested in hearing any other ideas anyone might have.

Ian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how large a top plate you need, but VTI stands are very solid:
- VTI DF Series 36 inch Cast Iron Speaker Stands (Black) DF36 ($148/pr., shipped)
- VTI RF Series 36 inch Cast Iron Speaker Stands (Black) RF36 ($148/pr., shipped)

How much weight do you think the stands will support? I know it says 100 lbs. My concern is that some of the monitors can get heavy (25+ lbs) and the dealers I was talking to suggested the Sound Anchors. I obviously care about sound and build quality since I'll probably spend north of $1000 on the monitors for the rears, but after all they are rear channel speakers. The VTI's looked pretty sharp too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
ihmeyers said:
How much weight do you think the stands will support? I know it says 100 lbs. My concern is that some of the monitors can get heavy (25+ lbs) ...
Not sure about 100lbs., but they'll easily hold 25+ lbs. They're very solidly made.

The real issue is the size of the top plate: The smaller it is relative to the footprint of the speaker, the greater the risk of an inadvertent bump/nudge tipping the speaker off the stand.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I've owned sound anchors, VTI and now A&M fab stands:

Sound Anchors are the best of the group, but price is rather high even for custom made stands

VTI: I just sold L/C/R JTR Triple 8HT speakers that weighted 70 pounds each. The bottom of the speaker was approx 12x12. I used the following VTI: http://www.cymax.com/vti-rfc-rf-ser...HUAqE_o8rSpTADVxHkNSvxoCEMTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds Not what you are looking for, but I feel like they were solid with 70 pound speakers on them.

The plate was 10x8...I wouldnt have wanted to go smaller. I used this blu tak: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinf...ZxciZ6rMkyajgnz_2mGhFQU8H9WmO4pbFaxoCIXzw_wcB

to hold the speakers in place...it works

A&M fab will come as close to sound anchors but at near the same prices you will pay for mass market products like VTI. BUT, you get exactly what you want (plate size and all).

Ron

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wife looked at the Sound Anchors and VTI options. Didn't like the look of the 3 post SA (those are my faves). The single column VTI looks OK but the top plate is kind of narrow. 10" x 10" is what was recommended to me. A&M would have to be a custom job because the stock ones have very large footprints, at least in the photod.

Wish the VTI had larger top plate because this would be much easier... :)

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Wife looked at the Sound Anchors and VTI options. Didn't like the look of the 3 post SA (those are my faves). The single column VTI looks OK but the top plate is kind of narrow. 10" x 10" is what was recommended to me. A&M would have to be a custom job because the stock ones have very large footprints, at least in the photod.

Wish the VTI had larger top plate because this would be much easier... :)
The way A&M works is you let them know the style you want, the dimensions of your speakers (including weight) and in your case the height...and he'll design the dimensions to make it work which includes proper base and top plate

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ian: Try Anthony at A&M fabricators. I just received my metal custom made stands yesterday. I'm a previous sound anchor owner (still have center stand and an amp stand). The new A&M stands are really terrific stands and about the same price as mass market stands. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/#!custom-projects

Quick communication and beat their est completion date by a day. It seems most made to order items take longer than the companies projections. The fact they beat their projections, how well they were packed and the quality of the product shows they pretty much got this down pat....well oil machine.

Ron

Ron,

Got in touch with Anthony and I think we're all set. :) He's going to build me a 3 post version of very heavy steel. Each one will weight 60-70 lbs. We're going to finalize it on Monday.

Thanks very much for the tip. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Is the standsandmounts.com site legit and worth trusting?
I've placed an order couple of days ago, got the shipping notice and indicated had been delivered (left at door)
Nothing ...
I went back and tracked the package, it was delivered to an address in MI, while my shipping address is at NH
I tried to log into the site (asked to create one when checked out), couldn't get access.
Tried to reset password, no email sent.
Tried to call, they are not working.
I am thinking this site is stealing my money. I'm about to call my Amex to get some help.

Does anyone else have issue with this site?

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Not sure how large a top plate you need, but VTI stands are very solid:
- VTI DF Series 36 inch Cast Iron Speaker Stands (Black) DF36 ($148/pr., shipped)
- VTI RF Series 36 inch Cast Iron Speaker Stands (Black) RF36 ($148/pr., shipped)

For your info!!!

Is the standsandmounts.com site legit and worth trusting?
I've placed an order couple of days ago, got the shipping notice and indicated had been delivered (left at door)
Nothing ...
I went back and tracked the package, it was delivered to an address in MI, while my shipping address is at NH
I tried to log into the site (asked to create one when checked out), couldn't get access.
Tried to reset password, no email sent.
Tried to call, they are not working.
I am thinking this site is stealing my money. I'm about to call my Amex to get some help.

Does anyone else have issue with this site?

First contact the original member (with over. 7000 post, I would think it is legit), a PM would be appropriate.

I also quoted him, since he should/would know better.

I never dealted with them, but this is the season when there is a lot happening in the shipping business.

It could be has simple, as send to the wrong address, and hopefully this place will send it back, as wrong address instead of "cool, free stuff".
Or/and maybe a very small business with, no automatic tracking system, if it the case, try an e-mail.

Last but not LEAST, when using a credit card for a purchase.
You always, have the resource to call your credit card, and report-it.

I know mine, reverse the payment, cancel my card and then send me a new card.

Hope this help a little.

Ray

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ron,

Got in touch with Anthony and I think we're all set. :) He's going to build me a 3 post version of very heavy steel. Each one will weight 60-70 lbs. We're going to finalize it on Monday.

Thanks very much for the tip. :D

Does anyone know if these guys are still in business? Anthony made stands for me last year (almost 12 months ago) and I see now the website is offline. I was hoping to get another pair.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts