AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my Thiel 1.6's in my family room in a 5.1 setup. What are some goods recommendations on main speakers in the $3k price point and then what would be a good center channel to compliment it?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Maybe you could describe what the Thiel 1.6s are lacking for you and then maybe some recommendations can be made.

I know $3k is a chunk of money but the Thiels are listed @$1195 each so getting something "better" @$1500 each is going to have to target whatever you are not happy about with the Thiels.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something that has more impact. The Thiels have great imaging and sound stage, but not much oomph, and are on the bright side. I am using it with an Arcam AVR600.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Klipsch RF83 is a very dynamic speaker with a lot of impact.

My wife used to play violin in a chamber orchestra so she has a very good ear for music and instruments and she really likes the RF83s too.

I have read many posts claiming the horn tweeter to be bright and fatiguing, but I have not found this to be the case at all.

When I was shopping the other speakers I liked were under consideration for purchase were the Paradigm Studio 100 and the B&W 804.

All three speakers I liked were very different from each other so listening several times is important.

Hopefully someone else will have other suggestions.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. I think the 804's are well above the 3k price. Any comments on the CM9's?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
450 Posts
JTR Triple 8s front stage would be a consideration as well. No offense but I have read of a good amount of members that have had the RF83s and considered the JTR's an upgrade. I would also look into the Seaton sound sparks in the price range. They are ICE powered if I am not mistaken. Happy hunting

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
No offense taken here the JTRs may very well sound better than the Klipsch, I have not heard them so I do not know.

The B&W 804S is quite a bit more expensive, and that is the reason I did not buy a pair of those. I mentioned them because they were one of the three finalists when I was shopping. Just to give you an idea of what we were considering.

When I was auditioning the B&W speakers I really was not overly impressed with anything below the 800 series.

The Klipsch RF83's and Paradigm Studio 100's cost about the same as the CM9's and to our ears the CM9's did not sound as good.

The deal maker for us to choose the Klipsch RF83's was a two for one sale, since they were in the final three at MSRP, there really was not anything else close to them for 1/2 price.

We have had them for a couple of months and we both keep liking them better and better.

I don't want to come off as a fan-boy for the speakers I chose, if I had paid full MSRP my wife and I may have returned them and figured out a way to justify the additional money for the B&W 804S speakers which were our favorites, but they were a lot more money before the Klipsch went on sale and once the Klipsch dropped to 1/2 it was no longer a contest.

I did not audition Thiel (that I can remember), it is supposed to be a very good speaker, I think you will have to go out and listen to see if you like something else better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts