AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first tv that I've ever bought and I don't know which brand to look at, what differences I should look for, etc.

What I do know is that I want 50"+, full HD, probably 120Hz, flat panel. I don't have a gaming system, but I do have a Panasonic Bluray already. I don't have a receiver or 5.1 sound system, but I will probably hook up my stereo (2.1ish) stereo to it (one day I may buy a surround sound system). My budget is what I would assume as average, possibly on the higher end of average.

My big questions are: Is there a large enough difference between LCD and LED that I should look into LED? What exactly does the contrast ratio do for me, should I pay attention to it?

I've looked a few times in stores like BestBuy, RCWilley and from what I've seen, I am really impressed with the Samsungs and semi-impressed with the Sonys and LGs. Are those good choices or what else should I look at?

·
Registered
34 Posts
What about Nephi. : D

Seeing that your budget is a little more tight, maybe you should not look at the LED, perhaps a good range LCD and Plasma obviously, the contrast ratio that manufacturers will show on the boxes and manuals, in my point of view only serve to fill the big egos of potential buyers, dynamic contrast would not be more important than the static contrast, even so I think it is not as important as the figure is common for mid-range HDTV, medium-high and high to keep a good contrast ratio, this information years ago had more weight when taking their first steps HDTV, it was more evident improvement going from 800:1 to 1,200:1 contrast, in 2008 had mid-range TV with 3,000:1 Contrast static, but dynamic contrast 50.000 / 80,000:1.

Right now the band of 100,000:1 dynamic contrast is crossed easily, and for LCD, Plasma or LED (in the latter even with a ratio of millions to 1) higher contrast certainly helps especially when you look at dark images or shadows (moving further), but do not be misled by such inflated values because there is no agency that ratifies such data, each manufacturer makes their own and displays it as valid and do not mention static contrast more, the buyer is stuck with those stratospheric numbers.

I think that your current applications could recommend a Plasma, the Panasonic TC-P50S1 (FullHD) or perhaps another 720p as the TC-P50X1, if you do not like the plasma TV I think the best value for money are the samsung, LG, Vizio, the same Toshiba, Sony obviously takes a bit longer. Another option would be the Sony W5100.

I have been able to compare the Samsung B650 near a LED B6000 and I dont thought the LED would be better, the price was higher, then I think if you want a Samsung LED should go after the B7000, but will increase the budget.

Know that both plasmas as the series led 6,7,8,9 and Samsung (and LG), if you have a very bright environment will affect the reflections on the screen and frame, if it is not possible at home is coreg best to avoid these and go for LCD models in matt (less reflective) or have the dark room to enjoy it all that kind of tv.

It would be good to mention that you could see on that screen stores and prices.

I recommend you return to store, carry a USB stick full of photos, music and above all, some videos (720p, 1080i or 1080p), also low resolution videos and test the models you like, there will be brands that did not play files mkv or divx on the other side in the store play a movie DVD, for bluray or HD content in virtually all models would do well, try the remote, but one might like the other, stand in the distance you have in home, look at the performance of each TV, the colors, sharpness, how deep are the blacks and viewing angles (the plasma is better).

Something like that.

greetings from Monterrey, Mexico.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'd like to avoid Plasma because I have seen plasma and, while it looks good, I have definitely seen problems with reflections. Unfortunately the room where I'm going to have it is very lit and I can't make it too much darker without turning the windows into walls.

And maybe my estimate on the "average budget" was a little off... I'm looking to go no more than $1800.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.