AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandmother has asked me to recommend a plasma ("one of those thin TVs") for her. She wants a really big screen because she has macular degeneration and has lots of trouble seeing.

She is most certainly no A/V buff. The plasma will not be going through a stereo, so it needs speakers. She also will only be watching Cable, so HD resolution doesn't matter. She wants to put it on a rollable stand so she can move it depending on where she is watching from. Since she is a very old lady, it should also be as easy to use as possible.

I am leaning towards the Sony Wega 42". While I wouldn't buy it myself, I think it might be right for her. But I have a RPTV, so I am not so expert in plasmas, and there might be something that you know about that is ideal that I have overlooked. The main needs:

-Has Speakers

-Easy to use

-Can stand on a table

-Doesn't need HD resolution

-Price not really an issue

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
How about the new Gateway 42" plasma for $2999, it includes speakers and TV tuner and its not an HD panel, includes table stand.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You'll definately want a built-in tuner. That rules out the Pannys. But perhaps the 50" pioneer would be a good choice, since cost is not much of a concern and the 50" is sure a lot bigger than 42" when you actually compare them directly. But the Gateway is a good recommendation too; I assume PQ is not a primary concern, since the viewer is slightly blind. :)

You can buy full rolling stands also, that allow the TV to be suspended in air. Saves on rolling a table around, and secures the display better; I would recommend that. Will the TV stay in the same room at all times?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.