AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some Polk RM6750 5.1 speakers and Denon 1912. Very happy thus far. But, I want to replace the rear satellite speakers with some speakers I can mount in the walls. My local home stereo installer suggested a pair of SPECO in-wall speakers for about $250.

I have a feeling I can do better than this. I want to spend as little as possible since my entire 5.1 speaker setup (Polk RM6750) cost less than those two satellites they're offering.

He has also recommended a pair of SPECO outdoor speakers at $200 for the 2nd zone which I will set up outside.

And finally, he has recommended a Monster 4-pair speaker selector ($170) for adding speaker pairs to the 2nd zone.

My questions:

1. Are there any decent in-wall speakers that may have superior quality and cost less?

2. Are these good outdoor speakers? I've never heard of them and I suspect they are being offered to me because this company already has stock.

3. Is this Monster 4-pair speaker selector worth the money? Anything better/cheaper?

Basically I want to do all of this for as little as possible. I will upgrade for better quality when I have the resources to do so. Since this is my first home theater/outdoor system, I just want to get up and running without spending too much. I know keeping the money to a minimum will seriously limit the quality, but it's a start.

Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have not seen Speco mentioned on AVS, but other may know something about them. Don't waste your money in-wall Speco's at that price - Your surround speakers (as a general rule) should cost less than your main speakers since they are for background sound. If you are looking for in-wall, check out Amazon for a quick look at what is out there in your price range (Polk, Pioneer, Def Tech, Klipsch, etc.). Also check out the monoproce in-wall thread (Typically $40 - $80 per speaker). Many will also tell you to make sure the speaker is enclosed for better sound quality and bass, but that is more important for your front 3 (left, center and right) mains. As long as you put insulation in the wall (if an inside wall) you should be fine for what you are trying to achieve. If an outside wall, make sure you seal up any cuts/holes in the vapor barrier.

Regarding outside speakers, I was able to get a really good deal on Boston Acoustics Voyager 6 and have been very happy with them. The Voyager series has received some good reviews as well. I also looked at Polk Atrium, but went with the BA instead.

Speaker selector - research other brands as well like Niles to educate yourself on what is available. The most important feature of the switch is to ensure it has impedance matching to protect your receiver and speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.