AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to "simplify" my parents HD setup.

Their speakers are a HTIB 5.1 setup, but they have a new 50" plasma. So no matter how nice the reciever is, it's just not going to matter with those little box speakers.

So back the "simplify" part. I'm looking to have a receiver that does ALL of the switching for them. In short, I need a 5.1 or better receiver, and the only features I care about are converting all inputs to HDMI (not necessarily "upconverting", just digitizing) and price.

No brand is off limits, and used/refurb is great. I just need something to use so that they never have to hit a button on the TV other than power ever again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, does anyone know of one even remotely reasonably priced receiver that does this? I don't even need HDMI 1.3, just 1080i standard color maximum is fine.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I believe the Yamaha RX-V663 offers basic HDMI upconversion (converting analog to HDMI.) It has two HDMI inputs.

Looks like a great receiver. Ignore people's comments on HDMI clipping, it won't matter to you or your parents.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Harman Kardon 247 refurb or the new 254. both do analog upconversion and is one of the only ones I can find that has both an analog audio tape loop and a VCR tape loop. Handy if they have old equipment and still want to record something on them.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The RX-V663 is overkill for that setup. BTW, the RX-V663 transcodes. It does not upconvert! Honestly the same (overkill) can be said for the HK AVR-247 (I have one).

If sound quality isn't that big deal (Yes, i said it!), look at the Sony's (I believe only the STR-DG910/920 will transcode analog to HDMI.) as well. You should be able to find a STR-DG910 for under $300 on E-bay. (Of course, you can also find a Yammy RX-V663 for a little over $300 on E-bay.)

You can also look at the Onkyo TX-SR605/606 (not the 604!). The Onkyo TX-SR605 usually goes for a little over $250 on E-bay.

Too bad you need transcoding as that setup screams for pass-through.

·
Registered
30,131 Posts
Screw a receiver, save your money and spend $100 and buy them a Harmony 670 remote. Take an hour to set it up for them, put all their other remotes in a drawer somewhere, and then all they will ever have to do is press "Watch TV" or "Watch a Movie" and enjoy themselves.

If your goal is to simplify their life that's the way to do it.

I hooked up my parents with one and they just love it. They could really care less about sound quality so it wasn't worth investing money for something that wouldn't be appreciated, my mom just wanted to be able to watch TV without my dad home to explain how to turn everything on.

Unless you are in a situation where there are not enough inputs on the TV to handle all their video devices, it sounds like you are basically just spending $300 on a glorified switcher. Let a nice, simple universal remote do all the work for them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/14366583

Screw a receiver, save your money and spend $100 and buy them a Harmony 670 remote. Take an hour to set it up for them, put all their other remotes in a drawer somewhere, and then all they will ever have to do is press "Watch TV" or "Watch a Movie" and enjoy themselves.

If your goal is to simplify their life that's the way to do it.

I hooked up my parents with one and they just love it. They could really care less about sound quality so it wasn't worth investing money for something that wouldn't be appreciated, my mom just wanted to be able to watch TV without my dad home to explain how to turn everything on.

Unless you are in a situation where there are not enough inputs on the TV to handle all their video devices, it sounds like you are basically just spending $300 on a glorified switcher. Let a nice, simple universal remote do all the work for them.

You are correct. It is an input issue. They have a satellite box (HDMI), an HDDVD player (HDMI), and a VCR (svid or composite). Plus, my mother has mentioned getting a Wii (component), and I may hook up an old unused xbox (component, hacked) for them so that they can look at their digital photos and music on the big TV.

I have a Harmony 880. I think I know what their Christmas gift will be this year.

I checked out the HK 247, but it looks just like the Onkyo 605 from my standpoint; 2 HDMI with upconvert. But with ebay and accessories4less, it looks like they're about the same price. So, I think the 605 is a better deal in the 250 price range since it has more power. I'm kind of hoping that they'll go ahead and get the Onkyo 606 to have 4 HDMI inputs and all the new codecs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You have to take into consideration that HK rates their power specs with all channels driven, unlike the competitors. It will also go down to 4 ohms ( I don't know about the 605). Best thing about it is the SQ, plus it won't fry bacon if it's been on for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts