AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are building a home and we want to get the absolute best we can for our living room. We have NO clue what we are doing either. I've never read or looked at any informaiton on pros-cons. We have already had speaker wires run to the four corners of the room in the ceiling (approximately). We have run RG6 cable from where the speakers come out to where we want to put a plasma TV (above the fireplace). While we have the infrustructure there, we really have no idea what are the best products to buy. We are looking to buy the best we can get at a "reasonable" price. I say reasonable knowing that plasma TV's aren't cheap. We want something 42 inches or larger with good clarity. We also want the best receiver and speakers we should buy. With all this in mind, we have no clue about this stuff or how to tell what's we are buying. Does anyone here have suggestions?

Thanks a million.

Tobin

For a diagram of our room and the placement of our ceiling speaker wire drops, see the diagram at:

https://secure-www2.bose.com/soundad...=33439&p=9WKW5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The FAQ was magnificent!

This did provide me with at least the terms to search for and learn about. I'm a computer guy. I know how to tell an improved PDA or Tablet PC from a napkin spec. But I didn't even know what to look for in my HT equipment. NOt only did you give a good comparison, it gives me plenty to know how to evaluate and make a good decision for my personal needs.

I'm going to slow my search down a bit. I was trying to get enough info to quickly get my infrustructure in place at the new home before I had to fish wires through the wall. However, after talking with several installers, they seem to feel it would be no problem, with my current setup, to run do this installation post-construction. Sure, they would have had it easier before dry wall if I told them what to do, but I'd be rushing into a decision with a large chunk of change and that would just be silly.

As such, I'm going to take my time and go with my old, unplanned non-integrated system at home until I have had the time to check out every detail and do some shopping. With your very informative post, I've got a good start on much research to be done. Your dedication to helping others with your knowledge is very much appreciated by my wife and I (even if the original folks making the query never responded *grin* ).

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be asking more specific questions down the road.

Tobin

·
Registered
118 Posts
HaHaHa.....And the journey begins......

You are now entering the Plasma zone.......

Plan on visiting every B&M within 100 miles and staring endlessly at displays. You'll change your mind several times as you wish that you can view all of them side by side. ED or HD? 37, 42, 43, 46, 50, 61? Oh God, so many choices.

One word of caution....enter the B&M with a full shaker of salt in hand and try to block 99% of what the salespeople tell you out of your head. They seldom know of what they speak. You'll get far better info here despite many people's rabid devotion to the Plasma that they own.

Have fun during this excruciating process. A few weeks from now you'll know that ignorance can be bliss because you'll know more than you ever thought you would and it will make your head spin. You will be overcome by an uncontrollable urge to spend more money on watching TV than you ever thought any sane person should. You'll probably even get job offers from some of the stores you visit as it becomes readily apparent that your research has made you more knowledgeable than many of the people to whom you'll speak. Best of luck!!! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm all too familiar with this concept on other items -- mostly computers (I'm a software developer and before anyone asks, no I don't work at Intertrode).

The problem I'm going to face on top of this is picking the right overall package. I have to look at receivers, plasmas, speakers, and even furniture since I'm moving into this house new and leaving all my hand-me-down furniture at the good will deposit - maybe the tax benefits there will help me with the cost a bit :D.

I'm fairly well set on a 42" due to keeping the price down. When I first saw the 42" I thought "damn that's big!". Then I saw the 50" and though "HOLY CRAP, that' 42 is so small!" Then I heard about the 6x" and I told my wife to go get a job to help me pay for this thing :D. We refuse to buy our HT on credit -- it won't be as enjoyable if it isn't paid for. So with that in mind, we want the best we can get -- without getting an equity loan in our new house to pay for it.

Our current information (thanks to this forum as well as others I've consulted) is leading us toward a Panny 42" SD and a Bose Lifestyle 35, and Thomasville "Bogart Collection" furniture for the living room. Anyway, these are obviously tentative as we have to now go take our time at figuring out what we want. We also decided to "live" in our living room a little while to figure out what is most comfortable for furniture placement before deciding where to mount the plasma. I would hate to make all these decisions based on our current assumptions, but then find out we were all wrong and we'll have to patch up our dry wall and repaint everywhere!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Titus,

I feel the same way. I can navigate my way blindfolded around the computer world, but when I started to shop for a plasma, I felt lost. It was like I entered into another reality.

For me, I went with the 433cmx because of the price and expandability. Also, it seems to me that the DVI input will go great with my HTPC.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TTitus
" Then I heard about the 6x" and I told my wife to go get a job to help me pay for this thing :D.
This has to be the best line I've seen in a while!:D

I know what you're going through. I started out just to get myself a nice plasma display. Before you know it, I'd bought an HDTV receiver, a video component switcher, a new ProScan DVD player, a new remote and countless wires and cables. Not to mention the 50" display itself.

I then bought a special table to put it all on, then realized it looked like crap, moved my new, semi-expensive table to the porch to hold my wife's plants, and called a carpenter to redo the built in shelves to accomodate the new stuff.

It's definately a journey, and the project will probably blossom out of control at some point, but it sure is FUN.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TTitus
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the 433cmx?
It's one model from one of the more popular brands of displays.

With the new forum rules, I don't know if I can link to it, so just do a Google search for 433cmx. You'll find it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the FAQ down, this had to be the single most succinct piece of information on television terms I've seen.

FAQ... of sorts

I'm still anxiously awaiting the FAQ to come back up for more information. However, I'm starting to feel comfortable reading posts about why one plasma is better than another. STarting to come together :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
TTitus:

The 433CMX is a Pioneer 43 inch plasma monitor (Pioneer PDP-433CMX is the proper nomenclature). It has 1024x768 pixels, so it truly is a hight definition monitor as opposed to a standard definition monitor which would display only 480 horizontal lines, or pixels. The 433CMX is considered the "commercial" version of the Pioneer Pro Elite 800D plasma monitor. Basically, the 433CMX is identical to the Pro Elite 800D except for two things: the shiny black Urishi frame, and the fact that the 433CMX costs thousands of dollars less than the Pro Elite 800D.

If you do a search on 433CMX, I think you will find much information on it. Be aware that most, if not all, B&M stores will not carry the 433CMX (and some of them will even bad-mouth the 433CMX). Instead, they will either have the aforementioned Pro Elite 800D, or the 4030HD. The Pioneer 4030 HD is considered an inferior model to the 433CMX, yet it still costs more.

This same nomenclature exists for Pioneer 50 inch models. The "commercial" version is a 503CMX vs. the Pro Elite 1000D. There is also an inferior 5030 HD (a bigger brother to the 4030HD) again costing much more than the 503CMX.

From being a 433CMX owner, and participating on this board for fair amount of time, I would hazard a guess that most Pioneer plasma owners that frequent this forum own either the 433CMX, or the 503CMX. One very nice feature of both the 433CMX and the 503CMX is that they have a card slot that can accept a standard Pioneer PDA 5002 card (which you would need to view any other source than a PC). But wait, that's not all . . . the card slot can also accept OEM cards from either Aurora or Key Digital which provide DVI HDCP compliance. That future-proofs these two Pioneer models against broadcast flags that may be inserted in certain HDTV signals that can either downrezz or turn off a HDTV source that is not HDCP compliant.

If you want to judge the picture quality (PQ) on either the 433CMX or the 503CMX, you'll need to see the two corresponding Pro Elite models. Do NOT use either the 4030HD or 5030HD as comparable models, since they have an outboard scaler box that is not equal in PQ to the 433CMX and 503CMX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just looking at Pioneers site for stats. They do list all of these products (the 433CMX and 503CMX, and the 5002 card) under industrial products. I looked at the 503CMX and the 5030HD and noticed they have identical MSRPs. However, when I looked at the 433CMX and the 4330HD to compare MSRP's, they didn't list the 433CMX's price.

I'm going to be comparing the 42" pannys to the 43" pioneers next weekend at a few B&Ms. I've also got Tweeter coming to my house tomorrow to give me an estimate at what they would have to do to install this above the fireplace (gas enclosed = no soot problems?). I will definitely not be using them, but I'll have them explain the whole thing and then do it myself if I agree it's a good way to go :). I will have the plasma itself professionally hung, but I'll be doing the infrustructure myself.

We have a contingency plan of placing it on another wall (where the component wire input / output go to begin with). We should have no issues whatsoever at that point.

Anyway, we have already found a ton of things we will want to do differently when buying our next home and this one isn't completely built yet :) And all of the changes thus far center around HT setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.