AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a power filter and surge suppression for a new Pioneer 5071 and other equipment. I have noticed some noise (a popping sound) when turning off my receiver. Also, noticed some pixelation issues on STB for some channels that seems to relate to power changes in house (compressor on bar frig kicks on). Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
The company I would recommend for those types of products would be Furman, I use them with my musical equipment (rack setups), as do near countless other musicians, audio engineers and people in the professional audio/video realm; they pretty much specialize in that type of product. You can get a quality line conditioner/surge suppressor from about $60-150 (depending what sort of features you need).

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll check them out.

I was doing some looking on the internet and found the power filters/conditioners/protectors by Pure AV (Belkin) and by Monster. How do the Pure AV units stack up? I know Monster is over rated and seriously overpriced for their cables but how does Monster's power centers stack up in terms of performance? (I can pick one up for about 50% off).

Thanks

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen /forum/post/0

I'm looking for recommendations for a power filter and surge suppression for a new Pioneer 5071 and other equipment. I have noticed some noise (a popping sound) when turning off my receiver. Also, noticed some pixelation issues on STB for some channels that seems to relate to power changes in house (compressor on bar frig kicks on). Any recommendations?

Thanks

Chris,

why2not has really nailed this one. As an engineer, I can attest to the validity of the link he gave you. Definitely stay away from the common and useless MOV based devices that are unfortunately everywhere.

I know that Brickwall is good and effective. I am not as familiar with the others. I believe that Brickwall actually uses a third type of approach, an "inductive" one rather than strictly SM. I would go with a Brickwall unit.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was also wondering about this as it is now time for a better surge system. I really like the Adcom, to stay away from the MOV's.. The APC has both, but I imagine it's a MOV?

I would like filtering and protection for the coax line, but keep reading that an HD signal is degraded and sometimes lost through these...How true is this?

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

why2not has really nailed this one.

I'd love to take credit, but all I did was provide a link, none of the research.

The link is provided in the FAQ sticky, you know, the one that says READ THIS FIRST. Its what pops up if you click "surge protection" int the FAQ

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll nominate Furman also.

I have the Pio 6070 and bought the Furman AR 15 II which provides Surge suppression AND Voltage Regulation.

Go to there site at www.furmansound.com and read up on their technology....I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

Also, compare the stats of their units with the hyped brands (Monster, etc.). Especially check out the clamping voltages, etc. and you'll see Furman should be on your short list of choices.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 /forum/post/0

How many times are you going to ask this question?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=793882

One time for each specific issue. With all due respect, if you re-read the original questions in the two threads you will see that the questions are different. This thread deals with issue of power conditioning/filtering and surge protection while the other thread deals with voltage regulation. While there is commonality from the standpoint that they deal with electrical energy, the specific issues are different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.