AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking into account that bulbs dim over time, and that stretching the light beam out lessens brightness to some extent (we all pretty much know this basic rule), which 1080p projectors are recommended to properly illuminate a ~10.5 foot wide 2.35:1 screen? Hopefully not a $12,000 unit!

The screen probably won't be acoustically transparent, and probably not curved. For cost reasons it may end up being a brilliant white Carada screen. I understand the BW material from Carada doesn't actually measure at 1.4 gain.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Dan

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
In my batcave: Sony Pearl projecting onto a 120" wide SMX screen (1.16 measured gain) - I have over 500 hours on the lamp, running in high lamp mode with panel driver adjustments. I find it to be plenty bright. When watching extended night scenes that suddenly switch to full daylight or have a bright searchlight, it is literally painful for a few seconds. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have an RS1 firing onto a 1.16 gain 127"W SMX screen. We are over the moon with the results. My room is a batcave as well. I can't imagine how an image could be any better. And I wouldn't want it much brighter - like usual, any sudden switches can be a bit painful. And I'm still doing "ghetto" 2.35 zoom at the moment. Even when the bulb dims, I think it will be ok. If you have total light control I think you'll be fine. The Panny AE1000 might be the only exception.

Craig.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad the primaries on the RS1 are off the charts and a pain to calibrate them to sane levels. I'd also need an outboard scaler to do the proper 2.35:1 scaling.

I may end up waiting to see what CEDIA has in store for us, if anything.

Keep 'em coming! I do appreciate it.

Dan

·
Registered
444 Posts
watching this thread with much interest...

i'm leaning toward the pearl or the RS1 as well...with a SMX AT screen (probably not curved)

not to jump on this thread, but maybe also list your lense and scalers used

thanks

brad

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just bought the Epson 1080 , Samsung 1200 BluRay and I have the UH380 lens. I am projecting it onto the wall right now at 10' wide and it is super bright, in fact in Dynamic mode you get a decent picture even in in the day. But, since I have a pretty short throw of about 12 feet I'm getting some pincushion. I ordered the XFS Blackflame expanded PVC painted screen in 50"x120". Since its a flat but easily bendable screen I'll be able to curve it to any degree I want or not at all. Of course I'll have to build a frame which may be tricky if I go with the curved, it still may not be too difficult. These kind of screens are getting a lot of buzz right now, especially over on the DIY screen forum. Nice thing too is you can go curved for less than half the cost of the Carada. Another benefit is the very smooth surface, some are experimenting with a mirrored backing for a surface as well. We'll see how it turns out, I don't have the screen yet.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, what you're saying is that the Epson 1080 really doesn't have a long enough throw ratio for the Prismasonic and Panamorph lenses since you're getting visible pincushioning. Dang it.

The only trouble I see with a DIY or pre-built curved screen is that if you change projectors and/or lenses at some point, you probably will need a new curved screen with a different radius.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a 10.5' wide Carada BW screen and have narrowed it down to the RS1 (inaccurate colors bug me though) and the Benq W9000/10000. The latter has accurate colors but you may have to open up the IRIS to get enough lumens making contrast suffer.

I'm not a big LCD fan so I haven't explored those.

Down the road the upcoming Infocus IN82 looks promising (1400 Lumens, 8k:1 contrast rumors) but it's a big unknown right now with nothing official spec'd out. The Optoma HD81-LV at 2500 marketing lumens is also something to keep an eye on if they fix the bugs from the HD81.

I just wish 3-chip DLP was more affordable...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think folks are making way too much out of the "inaccurate" colors. I know its difficult right now given the supply, but you should really try to see one before you write it off for that reason.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/0

So, what you're saying is that the Epson 1080 really doesn't have a long enough throw ratio for the Prismasonic and Panamorph lenses since you're getting visible pincushioning. Dang it.

The only trouble I see with a DIY or pre-built curved screen is that if you change projectors and/or lenses at some point, you probably will need a new curved screen with a different radius.

No, the throw distance is because I have a small room, only 14.5 feet deep and that is using the rear closet for a projection / equipment room. The Epson 1080 actually has one of the largest zoom ranges I'm fairly sure so if my room allowed I could move it back quite a bit and be OK. Also I don't want to overstate the pincushioning, a flat screen with a 2-1/2"- 3" border could easily hide it.

The curved screen is something I want to try just for fun and to see if it helps with the pincushion. If it doesn't work out I'll have only a few hundred dollars invested.

I'll be trying it out with various amounts of curvature before I decide on building the frame. Also I think sitting 10 feet away from 10 foot wide curved screen will be pretty cool.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_brew /forum/post/0

I think folks are making way too much out of the "inaccurate" colors. I know its difficult right now given the supply, but you should really try to see one before you write it off for that reason.

I have actually...I demo'd one at a local AV store. It's contrast and sharpness was outstanding, but I'm not sure I could live with the strong colors though after briefly owning a Sharp Z12k where I could tune the chroma, hue, and intensity with it's CMS to perfection with a calibration sensor. Accurate colors bring a level of realism to the picture that is hard to ignore after seeing it - for me at least.

I agree most would would pleased with the RS1 as is though.

If they had an RS2 with a CMS I'd be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.