AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a tight budget, and I am planning to get the Mirage OM-9 speakers.

In any case, I'm looking for a good 100-watt 5.1 receiver that works fine with them. Something that costs less than $800 US and preferable under $500.

I'm planning on getting surrounds and a center later. But for now, I'm sticking with my front towers only.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How's the Harman Kardon AVR7000-Z? I found it somewhere for a cheap price ($550) !? It supposedly does 100 watts in surround and 110 in stereo.

Here are the specs:
Quote:
Specifications: Stereo Mode

Continuous Average Power (FTC) Per Channel 110 Watts per channel, 20Hz - 20kHz, @

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take a look at the Panasonic SA-HE200. It's going for around 320/350 on some of the online sellers. 130 watts in surround for all channels, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES. I got one last week and so far am impressed with the sound on my system.

Rex

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW! That's cheaper what I expected for such performance.

Ok, I'm a n00b, and I don't understand why on earth would one pay 3 times the price for a comparable receiver from Harman Kardon or some of the other high-end brands. :confused:

Should I pay more and get the old Harman Kardon instead of the Panasonic!? Would it sound better? I am a 50/50 music movie guy.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Personally, I'd take the H/K any day. Look at the THD, among other things. :) The H/K is in a totally different league than the Panasonic. H/K also honestly rates their power; the Panny is quite optimistic (read lying through their teeth) with that 130W rating...

Sorny

·
Registered
807 Posts
Then there's the Onkyo TX-SR800 for $678. I'm very happy with mine. Has about every feature under the sun and THX certified as well.

-Rob-

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
K_Hectic - Here is the deal man. When a company advertizes 100 watts a channel RMS, it generally means nothing. As you were quick to notice, you can buy a 100 watt a channel receiver for 200 bucks, or 1000 bucks. Whats the difference?

Lots. You will notice Harmon Kardon, for example, charges ALOT for their 100 watt receivers... Why? Because they have a much better amp and transformer section than that 200 dollar, or the 500 dollar receiver.

Companies lie and deceive about specs, but an educated consumer can figure it out, also common sense helps. Pick up a receiver, does it weigh 15 lbs? That means it as a cheezy transformer. Does the deal sound too good to be true? It is. You can get a decent receiver between 300 and 400 bucks. You can get a good receiver from between 500 and 1000 bucks. You can get a great receiver between 1000 and 2000 bucks. Makes sense huh?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
In your budget range forget the Panasonic/Technics. The Harman Kardon is by far a better receiver. You can buy their high quality refurbs direct at harmanaudio.com (see specials) and you get the full new warranty. Prices are 40-60% off MSRP. I have used their refurbs for years and found them good as new if not better. They have the AVR520Z for $548 - this is the model I have been using for several months.

Dsmith

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just got a Harmon Kardon AVR-525Z (refurbished) from Onecall for $499 was $527 shipped to my home. Looks awesome but have not tested it just taken out of box and powered up and listened to tuner so far. Hope to watch a few DVD movies and and listen to some HDCD's this weekend. The HK 525 has a lot the panasonic doesn't. For instance 7 channel amp, Mp3 decoding, HDCD, Logic 7, and if you are going to listen to DD-EX movies or DTS-ES I would think the 7 channel amp would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Consider used...

Rotel RSX-972

75 w x 5 channel

component input / output

Average $600 used at Audiogon

·
Registered
404 Posts
stay away from panasonic technics-i had one last year that never worked properly -they have a very very very bad service dept, it took nine months of torture and migranes to get any satisfaction. they also use a 6ohm rating to boost the power specs when most companies use a 8 ohm load.

avoid at all costs

btw this was with there top of the line reciever the flagship and it didnt matter at all. you can still find rxv1 yamys about for 800$ these are a steal.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The Outlaw 1050 is 500+ shipping. It is 65wpc, 6 channels, but their rating is very conservative. I'm happy with mine. I would place it in the higher end category, but at a much lower price.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
B&K AVR202s are available used for around $800 and they retailed for $2800 just a few years ago! NAD makes a helluva a new unit with HDTV switching, pre-out, main-ins that you could pick up for around $800. The big thing is that the only receivers you can count on for real power is the NAD and Rotel models. Everyone else just quotes "per channel" power, not "RMS, all channels driven". Most Japanese receivers literally drop to 1/3rd power with all channels going. There's no miracles here and usually, a lot more marketing than solid engineering. Korea's Sherwood is building stuff that is WAY more reliable than Japanese stuff. I don't know HOW they do it. It's BY FAR the most reliable affordable gear I've ever seen. I've sold all the major brands, so if real, high quality power is the priority, NAD is about the only thing available, unless Outlaw is providing legitmate power (internet only).

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
My dear friend, to run the excelent Mirage OM-9, do to yourself a favor: don't even look at JVC, Sony, Kenwood etc. I have a Denon 3801 being the Maestro of Mirage Frx7, and I am happy.

I am looking for a new receiver and my budget is limited. I recomend Marantz and NADs.

Happy audits...

lmauta

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Pioneer 811 is easy to find and has 100w X 6, all the bells and whistles, including pre-outs. I found one open box for $239, and it has performed beautifully. For us cheapskates $239 / 600 W =

$0.40 / Watt. It also sounds great. JR

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Just remember, it can't give you 600W at once, probably more like 150 to 200W at best. Therefore, your cost per watt is much higher than advertised. You want to see the figure "100W/ch RMS (or continuous) ALL channels driven" Without that, AT BEST, they're saying that each channel is INDEPENDENTLY capable of 100W.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I understand that Onkyo just released in Japan a new 6.1 receiver with the composite/S-video-to-component video up-conversion feature, which has been so far available only in more expensive recievers. I believe that the model will be released in the US sooner or later, and should sell for probably around $600 street. If you are interested in the video up-conversion feature, I would stay tuned with Onkyo.

BTW, I recently bought the Pioneer Elite 45TX for only a bit more than $800, including shipping and fully warrantied. In case you can stretch a little, I can highly recommend the 45TX.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Actually, don't worrya bout that RMS continuous all channels driven too much because that's usually tested with a sine wave, which is not reflective of real-world testing. See this link from QSC:
http://www.qsc.com/support/library/papers/puzzle.pdf

Pay particular attention near the bottom where it talks about crest factor. Real music and HT don't pull continous power the way a sine wave does.

I can highly recommend the Sony DA4ES with its parametric style EQs, 7 discrete channels, excellent S/N and THD specs, 110w/chn (S&V tested at 140w/ch through mains), multiple multi-channel inputs, preouts on all channels, and 5 year warranty all at a price of $600. Lots of power and very clean sound.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.