AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd-shaped living room and am having a hard time figuring out what audio setup will suit this room best. I'm picking up a Sony 52xbr4 and would like to have audio components to compliment it given the room. The LCD will be placed in the area circled in red (#1). I've had some folks recommend just going with a 2.1 setup since the room is not really ideal for surround sound.

Any ideas on which receiver and speakers I should look into? I'm honestly not quite sure where to start. I'd like to keep the spend below $1,500 for both receiver and speakers if I can. Don't mind spending a bit over that if it's going to net me components that will potentially last into the next upgrade 5 years down the line (I'm guessing I want to spend the most on the speakers though - right?).

For inputs, I'm considering a PS3 (so I knock off gaming and Blue-Ray at once) and will have an HD cable box. Controlling multiple zones would be a cool thing to have (thinking about running speakers across the rest of the house to be controlled from this spot - including outdoor). HDMI switching is a plus. Upconverting isn't really necessary with my LCD - correct?

Thx in advance for any help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does it make more sense to position the LCD over the fireplace? I just stopped by Harvey Electronics and the guy's suggesting a 5.1 setup for the room - a few months back a different guy suggested a 2.1 setup. He also recommended speakers that were $2,750 each. Way beyond what I figured to spend... but I guess I should have expected such a recommendation from them.

Should I just bag the expert set up and just go with an all-in-one box?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts