AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get my first HTPC, a pre-built unit. I do have the option to upgrade the CPU from the standard P4 3.0GHz HT, to 3.2 (+$40), 3.4 (+$72), or 3.6 (+$212).

I will be outputting via DVI to a 50" DLP (Samsung HLP-5063), and will be using this for movies/videos, some burning, but no gaming. Should I consider upgrading? The extra $72 for the 3.4 is acceptable, but I don't know about the jump to the 3.6. With HTPCs, is faster always better, considering I won't be doing any gaming?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It really depends on what you will be doing, in regards to post-processing/scaling/ect...

From what I've been able to gather, for just playing back the DVD and upscaling it to your TV's native resolution, you can go with the 3.0ghz and it will more than meet your needs.

But the more processing you do to the image, like sharpening, noise reduction, super sampling... the more power you will need.

Kai

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Correct, I just basically want to play DVDs and replace my ReplayTV with a PVR that would have more capabilities (if that is indeed the case with HTPCs -- I'm still trying to figure all that out). I have all of the extra processing in the Sammy turned off (Noise Reduction, DNiE), so it would just be a matter of upscaling to 720p. I wasn't sure, though, if HiDef TV would be more demanding that just watching DVDs.

I've done some reading on the motherboard that comes with this unit (ABS's E2 Media Center) -- an Intel 915 PCI-E -- and the performance stats given assume a P4 3.4GHz and, of course, its onboard ATI card. For an extra $72 I would have no problem going to the 3.4; it was that $212 jump to 3.6 that I couldn't justify. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.