AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently planning the build out of a basement HT and I was so impressed by a CRT I saw in someone's home that I would love to explore getting one. Given space limitations, the largest 16:9 screen I can have is a 92" diagonal. The viewing area of the room is approximately 19' by 11'. The ceiling height is 8'.

So here is my question-- what would you CRT owners recommend? I am interested in a smaller quieter projector. I would love a model I could find used.

I will be watching, if possible, some cable TV with it. So your thoughts on that would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on the screens to go with your choices would be appreciated.

If you need more info. from me, just ask. I am very new to this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
So you like the CRT's huh? Your hooked now.

I suggest anyone of these Sony VPH-1271Q or 1272Q. NEC XG Series, XG110, XG75, XG135 or a DWIN 500 or 700. The DWINS are the quietest, lightest and probably the smallest. The Sony's are easy to set up if your are doing it yourself, replacement parts are still available. The NEC's probably provide the best picture (RUNCO used to use NEC's as their base model.) Both the NEC and Sony's are rather large and weigh a lot more. Check with AV Science for B-Stock NEC's and DWIN's. Eric from www.projectorspecs.com has Sony's. Curt Palme who also frequents this forum I believe also deals with used Sony's and Barco's.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hello Moke! I am in the Seattle area(Monroe actually). I sell/install projectors for hometheater. I have a couple for sale at the moment. I have sold/installed many projectors over the last 12 years. If you're interested, shoot me an email.....My ph. is 360-805-0754

Regards, Drew

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I've had two NEC XG's and they are outstanding projectors no doubt...however, you mentioned "quiet"...that's one thing the XGs are not.

If quiet is important, look at the Barcos, I was impressed with their minimal noise level. You give up a little in other areas, so it's all a matter of what's important to you.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have a Sony 1272. I like these because they put out an awesome picture, there are plenty of them out there, long tube life and they give great bang for the buck.

Deron

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'd dump your cable co and get a satellite system. I have a 1272 Sony and watch tv thru Dish Net. Picture is outstanding.

Even thou Cable co's are claiming Digital service, very few channels are digital. I went from cable to Dish and the difference blew me away.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Moke,

I just got an NEC 10PG and I'm loving it. The sharpness is outstanding. What projector does your friend have and just as importantly what type of processor is he running. I've got mine hooked up to a Rock+. I can't wait for the SDI imput.

Best of Luck

Johnboy :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since I am new to this stuff would someone mind explaining the HTPC approach and why it would provide the best picture?

Also if there are any CRT projector users/dealers/installers in the NW Chicago burbs area that sell used equipment, I'd be interested in talking to them.

I'd like to hook up with some users and see their setups to see what kind of PQ is possible with these kind of setups?

I was considering an RPTV purchase, but now I've put that on hold to see if FPTV is worth considering.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

- Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.