Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I was wondering what are a few really good DVD audio titles to try out as my FIRST foray into DVD audio?

I have tried some web searches but am having a hard time even finding music at stores, etc. My local Best Buy had less than a dozen titles, and all were artists I have never heard of.

I like most music.....with the exceptions being hard metal..that sort of thing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
HOTEL CALIFORNIA. Steely Dan TWO AGAINST NATURE.

Although I have been picking up more SACD lately, as the DVDA selection is pretty slim so far, IMO.

·
23,032 Posts
There's at least 1 other recent thread that has mutiple recommendations.

A quick search should turn it (them) up.

larry

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Fleewood Mac, Eagles, Grateful Dead, Metallica all great sounding rock albums on DVD-Audio. DVD Planet has them at great prices. For jazz or classical try some titles from Aix records.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
the new fleetwood mac disc's pretty good btw[i've only heard the dolby digital track though]

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Toy Matinee's self titled album is outstanding. It's a DTS release and also contains DD and DVD-A versions. If you like old-school prog-rock, try Brain Salad Surgery by ELP as well as Magnification and Fragile by Yes. Also, the Ohio Players' releases are good.

The top one out of that whole list for me though is the Toy Matinee.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You can get some more info and reviews here . I second Hotel California.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The best DVD-Audio disc I own is Bjork's "Vespertine". You owe it to yourself to hear this even if you think you don't like Bjork. It was conceived as a surround project, and the album was even toured in surround. It's astonishingly enveloping, floating one away in a sea of voices...closer in spirit to Enya than anything else.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I like my Don Henly DTS disk of End of the Innocence..... Not technically a DVD, but DTS disks seem to be lumped together....

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't find the music all that enjoyable, but as a demo disc Linkin Park - Reanimation has some great stuff. I would never listen to this stuff when I'm sitting home alone, but it can be very impressive in small doses to guests.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ELP – Brain Salad Surgery was actually designed for the old quadraphonic systems, so it works very well in 5.1 channel.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I actually think dvd-a has more titles that are interesting.. sacd has a lot of jazz and classical but not so much pop or rock and they both have about the same 5.1 titles i would bet. I actually own twice as many dvd-a as sacd's

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bucky Pizarelli's swing live is excellent. It's DVD-A and has a 24/96 stereo mix for DVD-V. (It's also available on SACD w/out the 24/96 mix).

It's a Chesky title. They have several DVD-A and 24/96 DVD-V and the recording quality is excellent.

Adam

·
Registered
439 Posts
although I prefer SACDs, I do have a DVD-A player. In that format I also recommend Hotel California along with Foreigner 4, Crowded House, and Queen A Night At The Opera.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I picked up Bjork- Vespertine today. Its actually playing in the other room now and I just had to come an post for you guys that it is incredible. Sorry goto go and listen now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bidger
Wise choice mazuly! If you've never experienced Björk before, 5.1 is a good place to start.
Well I am back after listening to Bjork for 2 times from beginning to the end without skipping any songs (no that's a first for me).

bidger, I actually have some of her CDs and like her music, but this was very different. Huge sound-stage, excellent 5.1 mix, fantastic music.

Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.