AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the reviews at IGN.com to aid in some of my DVD purchases. Are there any other sites out there that you find good for DVD reviews?

Thanks!

-JR

·
Registered
50 Posts
One of my favorite DVD sites that also has review is The Digital Bits. The site is:

www dot thedigitalbits dot com

Sorry but a workaround since I don't have 5 posts yet.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I like Widescreen Review. What I really like, is that when a new version of a previously available DVD comes out (remastered, for example), they always compare the video and audio of the different versions so you can make a better informed decision of whether to buy the new one or not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There are three sites I use extensively for DVD reviews:

www.dvdreview.com Great reviews. Look at their master index and click on a few of the "gold seal of excellence" titles. Outstanding movies with outstanding technical attributes.

www.thedigitalbits.com Even more technical information than dvdreview, good reviewing style and a pretty big selection of reviews. Probably at least 5 to 10 times the number of reviews as dvdreview.

www.dvdverdict.com There are just an amazing number of reviews here. Most of the reviewers write well and seem to love movies. I don't always agree with them, as my tastes vary from theirs. I also find some of their reviews to be too long. On the other hand they typically *really* discuss a movie. I also *really* like their numerical scoring system (0 - 100) for all attributes of the movie (audio, video, story, acting, extras, and overall).

Hope you like one or more of these sites.

Brian.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the links. Sadly, I still enjoy the review style/point system on www.ign.com the best. I've saved all the links provided though, it's good to be able to use them all for reference!!! :)

-JR

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I like metacritic.com to give you a meta view.

·
Registered
27,690 Posts
This is a question you should be asking in the Digital Software forum, not DVD players.

That said, bookmark the link to DVD-Basen that mikevan posted above. It's a DVD review search engine. Just plug in the name of the disc and it will give you a host of sites with reviews.

DVDFile is the best, of course!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hard to beat www.dvdlaser.com for the most complete list of dvds and laserdiscs, with excellent reviews.

htomei

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceRocket
I've been using the reviews at IGN.com to aid in some of my DVD purchases. Are there any other sites out there that you find good for DVD reviews?

Thanks!

-JR
Since I do not see the two I usually use, I'll add them now before this is moved to Digital Software Discussion and Reviews.

Internet Movie Database - I like the User Rating and Voting method and the way results are tabulated by age and gender. (Why do girls 18 and under give all movies a 10 :rolleyes: )

Rotten Tomatoes - Good for a quick scan of new movies. Reviews are from movie critics which may or may not agree with your tastes.

--

Rick

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
How about www.imdb.com (Internet Movie DataBase). You can click on a moive, then external reviews and get all sorts of reviews on a movie.

John

Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceRocket

Thanks!

-JR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.