AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given up waiting for a proper Sandybridge driver that doesn't BSOD when connected via HDMI. I'm running a driver now that does kind of work, but there are still just too many issues with it to keep wasting my time. It sounds like a GT 430 would be the best option for a discrete card, but can anyone suggest a particular version of that card? I have a silverstone GB06 case that supports a full height card and an ASUS P8H67-M EVO. I already have a Ceton 4 tuner card installed so I need something that won't take up too much room or put off to much heat. Of course it also needs to be very quiet.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD (passive cooling) or GIGABYTE GV-N430OC-1GL (if you prefer active cooling).

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
There are some posts in Renethx's thread and the Lav -MadVR threads that say the 430 is too weak to perfom well with MadVR.

Why not go with the GT440 (DDR5) or the GTS450 so you have enough power to run the popular video rendering program? You may not want to run it now, but you may want to later, and who knows what else may come along.

I have one of each (GT440 and GTS450) in my HTPCs and I am very happy with them. There is a passive 440 (I have the Gigabtye and the Asus modles with fans - both are very quite).

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meoge /forum/post/20801700

I've given up waiting for a proper Sandybridge driver that doesn't BSOD when connected via HDMI.

It would be interesting if we could figure out the correlation of why some people have this problem and others do not. I see this described often enough that it obviously is a genuine issue, but then others (myself included) have never had a BSOD.

Is it particular SB models? Is it SB with specific makes or models of AVRs or TVs? Is it particular software being used? Specific configuaration settings?Motherboards? MB chipsets?

There has to be some common thread in there somewhere I would think. I suppose it could be specific CPU production lots, in which case we'll probably never know.

Is this one of those issues that some people have cured simply by replacing their 3' or 6' HDMI cable with a 15' one? Have you tried that? (Amazon sells them for about $4)

Just for the record, I use an i3-2100, an Intel DH67BL, 3' HDMI cable to a Sony STR-DA4400ES, HDMI to an LG 47LE8500. No BSOD problem.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20801924

It would be interesting if we could figure out the correlation of why some people have this problem and others do not. I see this described often enough that it obviously is a genuine issue, but then others (myself included) have never had a BSOD.

Is it particular SB models? Is it SB with specific makes or models of AVRs or TVs? Is it particular software being used? Specific configuaration settings?Motherboards? MB chipsets?

There has to be some common thread in there somewhere I would think. I suppose it could be specific CPU production lots, in which case we'll probably never know.

Is this one of those issues that some people have cured simply by replacing their 3' or 6' HDMI cable with a 15' one? Have you tried that? (Amazon sells them for about $4)

Just for the record, I use an i3-2100, an Intel DH67BL, 3' HDMI cable to a Sony STR-DA4400ES, HDMI to an LG 47LE8500. No BSOD problem.

There was a report of some buggy intel drivers a while back (I think around version 21xx). Now they are up to version 2462. Perphaps poster has not upgraded drivers in a while.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been following this intel community thread for a few months now. Robert U. said as of the 4th of Aug, that they are still working on the issue. I'm using the latest test driver that he posted and I can now use HDMI without BSOD, but only at 60 and 24, not 59 and 23. I also get the choppy video issue in WMC7 when watching certain channels like Starz or AMC. I found a post that said when they switched to the GT 430 they could change a setting in the driver that pretty much eliminated this problem. I would also like to be able to run a custom resolution so I can get as close as possible to the correct 23.976 framerate. All these things combined are making me think it's worth spending another $50 to $80 for a discrete card. I don't want the extra power drag, heat, or noise, but I want to be able to watch Breaking Bad without all the juddering.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest with you, I use MyMovies with TMT 5 and I just leave my resolution at 60hz all the time. I don't really notice any problems when watching Blu-ray ISO files so the 23.976 issue isn't that big of a deal. TMT5 just released a patch that automatically switches to 24 and back depending on the movie, but it only switches to 24 not 23 so I disabled it. I thought if I could get 23 working and TMT5 would switch to that I might try it. All that being said the thing that I do notice is the juddering with certain channels that was posted here It states that with a GT430 they were able to switch from "Content type reported to the display" to "Full-screen videos" and it fixed there problem. If the new driver SB driver can fix that issue I'd be willing to stick with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I'm using a Ceton card, according to the thread from TGB it's a video card problem. Believe me I've scoured AVS and every other HTPC forum looking to squash as many bugs I can since I built this box. So far I've been able to get just about everything working well with the exception of these few things. I'll probably buy one of the GT430's suggested. If I can put it in and it fixes my problem then it's well worth the money and if it doesn't I'll just use it to upgrade my old GTS8800 in my desktop machine.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meoge /forum/post/20802207

Yes, I'm using a Ceton card, according to the thread from TGB it's a video card problem. Believe me I've scoured AVS and every other HTPC forum looking to squash as many bugs I can since I built this box. So far I've been able to get just about everything working well with the exception of these few things. I'll probably buy one of the GT430's suggested. If I can put it in and it fixes my problem then it's well worth the money and if it doesn't I'll just use it to upgrade my old GTS8800 in my desktop machine.

I'd ask a specific Ceton question here first, but that's just me.

I think there are people here using Cetons with SB.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20801941

There was a report of some buggy intel drivers a while back (I think around version 21xx). Now they are up to version 2462. Perphaps poster has not upgraded drivers in a while.

Can you give me a link to the 2462 driver?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=20282

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just installed the 2462 driver, but I still can't choose 23hz or 59hz. When I attempt to choose 1920 x 1080 @59hz or 23hz it switches the resolution to 1024 x 768 and I have to cancel the change. Same behavior as before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.