AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a stereo in Washington, DC this weekend, but I am not from there. (It's a wedding gift for a friend who lives there.) Can anyone recommend a good store to audition quality speakers and receivers/separates in the $2-3K (total) range?

I am probably looking for a receiver and 2 mains, as this is 90%+ music (10% HT). I already bought a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 for the CD source.

Also, speaker and receiver/separate recommendations in this price range are welcome! (I am no audiophile.)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lot of good stores in the area. Try Meyer Emco or Tweeter. Their web sites will have addresses. Meyer Emco has Yamaha 1300 or 2300, Pioneer Elite VSX45, Marantz 7300 -- all around $900 or less. The B&W 602.5s are good towers at under $1000. At Tweeter, they have the aforementioned Yamahas, Denon 3803, Pioneer Elite and Sony ES line. The Haydn bookshelves from Vienna Acoustics at $800-1100 are excellent music speakers.

My favorite DC store is Sound and Images. Web site is:

http://www.soundimagesusa.com

They have Harmon Kardon's 520 and 525, both around $800 or less. Plus Nad's T752, maybe the best musical receiver out there. About $900 or less. For speakers, they have the very musical JMLabs line. The 725 Chorus for $1200 is real nice. A step up, they have some bookshelves in that price range. Nad combined with JMlabs is a splendid combo. A pair of 725s plus the T752 would run around $2000. That would be my top recommendation.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Is it too late to invite you to my wedding?

Another shop is JSAudio

4919 St. Elmo Ave.

Bethesda, Maryland

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a million for advice, Jeff (and Joe). Just in time -- I am shopping today and will use your recommendations.

It's not too late to invite me to your wedding, Joe, but since I don't know you I could only give you Bose speakers. Sorry. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.